Author Topic: New Vintage Boxed Slave I vs. the older Amazon Exclusive?  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
New Vintage Boxed Slave I vs. the older Amazon Exclusive?
« on: April 17, 2020, 06:54:09 AM »
I am sitting here racking my brain this morning deciding whether I want to spend the coin on the newer Vintage Box Deco Slave I vs. just keeping the Amazon Slave I I got however many years ago. I am trying to come up with any differences other than some engine repainting?

Newer version

BBTS Link: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/117392?utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=ImperialShipyards

EE Link:

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/HSE9647

Older Amazon Exclusive One:

https://amzn.to/2XFd2sl

I mean there are some slight box variations, but enough to justify $150?

With my space limitations and the crazy prices nowadays I wondered how many of you will be getting this version if you have the older one like I do?

I hate to say it, but I might just wait for this new one to go on mega-clearance or not get it alltogether!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:35:24 AM by Tamer »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: New Vintage Boxed Slave I vs. the older Amazon Exclusive?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »
Really the only difference is the clear display stand, and the engines, maybe a little better paint job. I don't even have the Amazon exclusive S1, and I'm hesitant. At first it was a solid no, but I could actually use it for an upcoming project. Still $150.  That 6" snowspeeder costs less and it's completely brand new. It's just another example of repack, repaint repeat that we're seeing with TVC.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:29:50 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 07:28:39 PM »
I just remember the awesome Target Set for the last anniversary of TESB and man now that was a great deal with some great product. It just seems outrageous to charge us that when the last iteration, pretty much the same thing, was so much cheaper.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 08:58:28 PM »
Yeah the OTC Target one was a steal at the time.  The MSRP on the TVC one was $70. I don't know how much inflation we've had since then but 100% increase? For a stand. I get that licencing is more expensive now, but still. I guess they look at eBay prices and think oh people will pay anything for this stuff.

*Edit* well I went ahead and pre-ordered. Sigh. To put it into perspective, the '81 Slave one cost $16, fast forward to 1996, the same basic ship sold for $30. Of course that's over a 15 year period, but still, same thing I guess.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:50:58 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 08:28:05 AM »
I will probably end up with one, but still don't think I am gonna bite on a price that high. I keep thinking of that great new Hovertank and what we were able to get it for.

I think it is still able to be had at around $35 or so now.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 11:05:56 AM »
The hovertank was a cool thing, but it's failure was due to horrendous distribution. It was supposed to go to B&M stores along with wave 2, but wave one backlogged inventory. Amazon was the only place that had it, but the drivers were AWOL. so they just got dumped at Amazon and Ollie's outlet, less than a year later going for $25. You can't even get a driver for $25. That's a huge problem in itself, all these tanks and no one to drive them.

Boba Fett stuff sells. If I already had the TVC1 S1, I would not have bothered, I don't want to miss out again. I saw on eBay a TVC1 S1 in horrible condition, asking $150. I'll play it safe this time. My problem is I wait for stuff to his stores, and that never happens. I still haven't seen the Jabbas palace playset in stores, luckily I pre-ordered that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:50:19 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 06:41:00 AM »
Your right about Boba Fett Stuff selling. Still see it clogging shelves at that price point. It just ain't that huge. I know its a few years removed from its last release, but man that price point is just getting me.

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 07:14:27 AM »
I got this one on clearence back in 2014 for 50€ at Toys "R" Us. That was a great deal! Did not expect to find it here in Germany at all - but TRU picked it up! Got two more used in the bay - one damaged and incomplete for 25€ and the other one for 40€ - complete. And I'm very happy with it!
$150 is steep - a total impudence to the price on Amazon 7 years ago...you can pre-order it for 180€ here, now. Ridiculous! So EASY pass for me here. BUT I'm happy to all who missed it back in the days. The box is nice, the added paint apps are neat, but do not justify that salty price! What do I know…
I'm just glad to be a loose collector by now.
Cheers.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 10:19:26 AM »
Philipp, evidently we are pretty much on the same page. It will be interesting to see if folks bite at that price, especially (like JDeck already mentioned) when the new 6" Snowspeeder is coming out at the same time. I know vintage sells, but this will really show if putting it in a vintage box makes it sell.

The sad thing is if this goes bottoms up, will they use this as an excuse to shorten the vintage line up? Kinda like what happened when the last Slave I went on clearance?

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 03:57:07 PM »
Sad, whomever is doing their pricing is just beyond "misinformed" and into the realm of excessively greedy.  Why are the X-Wings at about the pricing when they were Target exclusives and this one above and beyond the Amazon exclusive?  I completely understand the need to profit, but this is not gonna fly with me.  There is such a thing as pricing yourself out of the market....even with the popularity of the mandalorian.  I'll obviously pass when I would of otherwise bought one.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 08:22:30 AM »
Dax,

I totally concur. I won't say no outright yet, but only at a deep discount. This is the way!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral

Offline Flash

• Cadet
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 11:22:18 PM »
I'm much more comfortable these days waiting for the vehicles and figures to go on sale/clearance or not pick them up at all. I'm willing to pay higher prices from Marauder, Zica and Boss Fight, but not from the big manufacturers with lesser quality or repacks.

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 11:49:36 PM »
I'm much more comfortable these days waiting for the vehicles and figures to go on sale/clearance or not pick them up at all. I'm willing to pay higher prices from Marauder, Zica and Boss Fight, but not from the big manufacturers with lesser quality or repacks.

If that's not a punch in the face for Hasbro...but it doesn't support the brand if we all start buying on clearance only! It's a downwards circle and eventually we'll only punch our own guts.

I agree the price tag is steep compared to the original release - especially for being a slight repaint. But if that's the price to pay in 2020 I guess we got to take that pill. I rather buy this for 220€ from Hasbro than paying 300€ on eBay. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro plays that "limited supply" game, too! But they'd never admit it. I'm sure they are aware of the prices on the secondary market. So they might think "hey why wouldn't we adjust (read: raise) prices, too? It's like at the stock market:

You play the game until one gets broke!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 06:44:46 AM »
Yeah, the sad thing is Hasbro uses things like this (people not buying repacks at fuller prices) to say there isn't demand for 3.75".

Still, I haven't ordered one yet. I know the arguement for why I should but wow. $150 for a repaint and repack!

Flash I can sure see your point and Darth More I sure see yours too. I wish there was some way we (Hasbro and we collectors) could all meet in the middle.