Author Topic: New Vintage Boxed Slave I vs. the older Amazon Exclusive?  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Mos-Eisley-Customz

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
Re: New Vintage Boxed Slave I vs. the older Amazon Exclusive?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 09:17:55 PM »
I bought one of these as i only have the Jango Fett version from 2010? and wanted the Boba colour scheme ..in comparison it feels a bit more flimsy and the doors don't clip shut so well, infact i have a bit of a gap from the canopy and body  :-\  ..maybe i've not clipped the hinge in right, will have to have another look at it

You can see the gap on this picture, it's worse when you get up close  bbfet  ..on a plus side the paint apps are lovely on the back, just need to dirty up the front too

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 06:16:15 AM »
Woah. That is not good for that type of price!

I had to clip that image to see it better, but man. I sure hope it is a hinge thing. Has anyone else gotten one in to see if this is the same? That is not good for that type of price.

Off to the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 09:22:47 AM »
Yikes, yeah for the price you pay it should lock tight. Also I've heard the wings don't lock very well in flight position, seeing that is the major advantage of the new Slave I, having the stand and painted engines, that kind of sucks too.
I pre-ordered mine from Dorkside, I don't know why, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. They have already delayed the shipment from May to June, and I'm almost willing to bet all my Star Wars guys come June it will be pushed back to July, and so on and so forth. This is why I hate pre ordering. I wish I could just put on my flip-flops drive to Wally-World and buy stuff. Where did you order yours from?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:03:59 AM by JDeck »

Offline Lenny Quinn

• Commander
  • Laugh it up fuzzball.
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 01:19:07 PM »
I received mine yesterday pre-ordered from Hasbro Pulse. I am surprised at the flimsy feel of the cockpit canopy. I can't believe the design of it does not allow it to remain open in landing mode. It's definitely a two hand operation getting figures seated and the canopy seems to enjoy getting in the way and busting your chops while trying to do so.The way it clips into the front of the ship also stinks out loud. Opening the cockpit in flight mode is a no no and is reminiscent of a bad diving board, you can just tell it's going to snap. The wings seem to be slight uneven. The rubbery  wing struts don't seem to help but only add to the problem. You can hear a slight click as the wings lock into flight mode and by lock into I mean barely. The display stand holds it nicely and that's a good thing because it seems better for display than play. Overall it's nice to look at and gets the job done. Shame on me for expecting more.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 01:55:39 PM »
From what I've seen on videos, the cockpit insert can be removed, put in the figure and place the insert back in.  I might cancel my order and order through BBTS. I haven't gotten a pulse account, but I might as well.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:29:36 PM by JDeck »

Offline Lenny Quinn

• Commander
  • Laugh it up fuzzball.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 05:47:33 PM »
From what I've seen on videos, the cockpit insert can be removed, put in the figure and place the insert back in.  I might cancel my order and order through BBTS. I haven't gotten a pulse account, but I might as well.
You can definitely pop it off in order to insert figures, no doubt about it. It's not something I would be confident doing every time. It's not the easiest thing to put on and take off and it just doesn't seem sturdy enough to keep doing. I have zero doubt in my mind that my 8 year old son is going to break it accidentally. All around it just doesn't feel as well put together as other ships and vehicles. It is still cool though.  Maybe this slave 1 for display and the shadows of the empire slave 1 for play.

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2020, 06:13:33 AM »
I would not let kids play with this it would be broke on the first drop  :o ;D  ..i've had a proper look and it's bad news, the hinge is in correct, you can see on the pictures below that it lines up correctly so dont know what i can do with it  :-\ and i have noticed the side door also has gaps and sticks out near the wing  ..i would like to know if they are all like mine or have i just got a bad one??  ..i think i'm going to display it back facing haha

(click the picture to see it better)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 06:37:40 AM »
JDeck here is your link my friend:

BBTS Link: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/117392?utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=ImperialShipyards

You can definitely count on them to ship quick. Between you and me if I wanted one the quickest I would use them or EE (that link is in the very first post on this thread).

I am so disheartened reading these comments this morning. Sounds like they thinned this thing down so it is really just a display piece. I so appreciate the feedback though. I am not getting one of these myself unless they are reduced drastically. I plan on taking some of this back to the front page too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:45:16 AM by Tamer »

Offline Flash

• Cadet
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 10:36:59 PM »
All of these issues plus the exorbitant price tag goes back to my point about where I'm comfortable spending my hard-earned dollars.  Although I'm interested in buying more Hasbro product, I'm not willing to pay more money for less quality and less articulation, especially since I know Hasbro is capable of doing better (G.I. Joe anyone).  I know I've heard the comments that if we don't buy what Hasbro puts on the shelves, then we can't hope to get more and better product in the future.  While that's the corporate perspective, Hasbro will have to do better by this consumer.  The free market allows us to have a say in this agreement.  If I'm not satisfied with Hasbro's offerings, I'll spend my money elsewhere.  When Hasbro makes product of sufficient quality and availability, then I'll give them my cash.  It's pretty simple.

As far as this vehicle goes, I bought the Rise of Boba Fett version (two vehicles and five figures) for my kids for about $90.  I would wager the Slave 1 was worth $50-60.  Now, a fancy paint deco by itself is not worth a $90-100 price jump, nor is the display stand.  I hear folks say that prices have gone up across the board, and that's just the pill we'll have to swallow.  I can accept that for small companies with small production runs (Marauder, Boss Fight, Zica, etc.), but a company that produces and sells in bulk, Hasbro can do better.  And they'll have to if they want myself and others like me to drop some coin.  What it really boils down to is that I'm content with my collection.  While there are some other items I'd like to add to it, or some existing items I'd like to upgrade, if Hasbro ceased to make anymore 1:18 product, I'd still be able to enjoy my existing collection.  I'm content.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 07:30:37 AM »
What it really boils down to is that I'm content with my collection.

Wow, how I associate with this point. I already have way too much than I have space for so I am kind of the point where I would "swap" out for better versions. This one doesn't seem to be it. If it goes on sale maybe I will bit, but I doubt I would take it out of the box.

I think I might go after a purple box SOTE version of this instead.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 11:29:59 AM »
I would have lost all my star wars guys had I made that bet. Dorkside actually shipped today. I was about to cancel it. I'm just going to display it on a custom landing platform for my spaceport anyway. I wanted a civilian class ship, but not the BMF, so that narrowed it down. Sucks I had to pay $150, but it's a lot better than EBAY prices for the old one.  I don't buy every single thing they release, but sometimes the figures I skip, I end up buying anyway for customs. You can't complain about the articulation anymore. The new figures at least are all super duper articulated.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:55:34 AM by JDeck »

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 12:45:58 PM »
It seems i just got a bad one, just my luck ha!  ..this one is fine and is from the same shop so sucks to be me i guess..

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2020, 04:27:57 AM »
Well I am glad to see there are good ones out there. I will be looking forward to seeing what JDeck has to say when he gets his in.

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »
Well I am glad to see there are good ones out there. I will be looking forward to seeing what JDeck has to say when he gets his in.

Me too ..hopefully he gets a good one  ..i can push the canopy flush on mine, it just wont stay there so maybe i can bend it into shape or something

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2020, 04:35:41 PM »
I got mine today. Looks like I got a good one. Honestly I don't buy 3.75 ships, I usually stick to speeders in this scale. They're toys, not models, so they aren't going to be screen accurate or full of detail. The play features, I have zero interest in, like the missile launchers, take away from any accuracy the guns have. The seismic charge buttons bother me. Some people like the playability features, but I am not a fan. I need a ship for my spaceport, a spaceport without a ship would be dumb. Otherwise I was planning to pass on it.  I'm going to display this in the landed position, I think it looks better. Having it in hand, and in person it doesn't look bad in flight position. The thing that bothers me, is the canopy hinge. It's front and center when in flight mode. To me they should have redesigned it all together for flight mode. Put the canopy hinge on top, where it's less noticable. Add some lights, LEDs aren't expensive. For $150 I want lights, and some mechanisms. If I had the Amazon exclusive I wouldn't pay twice for basically the same thing. But as a first time buyer, I'm glad I got it. It's like a toy model hybrid. It's really nicely detailed, with play features but it isn't meant to be played with. It's better than the SOTE one I had as a kid, but if I had this as a kid I would have dropped it and broken it several times over.

This is what I meant by the cockpit insert being removable. The "seats" come out, to make placing figures easier. It's still a pain to do though.  Also, if you want to display in flight mode, attach the wings while it's on the stand. It's works better. I had to readjust the wings that way. After I took the picture.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 06:12:22 PM by JDeck »