Author Topic: Star Wars unpainted customizable figures .....something hasbro should consider  (Read 5283 times)

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
Hi guys for the few familiar with me, I'm pretty much a 3 3/4 inch scale enthusiast.  I wasn't sure if it was ever mentioned before or discussed to any length, but why not a few pre primed figures like Mandalorians and Clone Troopers?  Something I think that should be watched for is McFarlene's Warhammer 40,000 action figures.  He'll be offering a pre painted Ultramarines line, plus the unpainted grey figure as well for purchase at what is believed to be a minor lower price point.  He's very much in tune with his customer base and if you've paid attention to the growth of his company, seems to continually make improvements rather than regressions.

What I propose is this:
*omit figure paint and assembly
*omit fancy cardback/packaging
*direct sale
*allow for a slight decrease in price
*simultaneously run the painted versions packaged in multi packs/comic packs/ possibly individual figure pack (create fancy packaging all you like)
*ask your fan base which ones they would buy multiples of so its mutually worthwhile
***one caveat... if you guys use these ideas and start pumping out a disproportionate amount of Darth Vaders, Separatists Droids, and crap we have no interest in.... I reserve the right to personally slap each of you in the face with a weighted white glove and bid you good day.  (I'm polite like that....)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:03:31 AM by dax415 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
I like this idea. Let me go post this on the front pages.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
I love the idea, but I think you've answered your own question in one sentence:
[McFarlane is] very much in tune with his customer base and if you've paid attention to the growth of his company, seems to continually make improvements rather than regressions.
McFarlane and Hasbro are very different. When a company representative states that they are filling market demand amidst abysmal distribution and lack of available new product while the entire SW 3.75" collecting community is practically on its knees begging to buy more new figures, I think that tells you all you need to know. The blanks made by other companies can be great (Bossfight HACKS, JoyToy, etc), and I'm sure Hasbro's would be as well if they ever made them. I suspect they will make them... "when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east; when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves."

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
Yeah I'm well aware of their business structure.... I would simply like to get the topic rolling, especially if someone else is willing to step up.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
Yeah I'm well aware of their business structure.... I would simply like to get the topic rolling, especially if someone else is willing to step up.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the post. Are you suggesting that Hasbro begin releasing unpainted blanks, or a third party customizer/vendor?

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
Everything I suggested is more than doable and the information/logistics/framework available to them if they did their homework.  They can either be the first star wars action figure line to run with the diversified product approach..... or miss out on a golden opportunity and watch as some other company uses the concept to reap its rewards.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
The big thing I took away from my last talk with the "team" was that let your purchases do the talking. Its easy to say that, but what new product have we seen to let our wallets do the talking?

I am thinking maybe we ought to think of the truly new stuff we have gotten the past few years in the line?

I know we are getting a new gonk and Wolffe. What other new figures did the vintage line actually see last year that weren't repacks?

For vehicles we got the new Hovertank, and ITT, and Skiff, but I think that new Slave I is just a repaint of the Old Amazon exclusive.

I just don't think repacks and repaints should be relevant to Hasbro's let your wallet do the talking. New products yes, but even then I would like to know how they determine what characters to make new? Wolffe I get it as this last season of TCW, but why a Gonk? Wasn't there another character that deserved this treatment before it?

I am just kinda thinking out loud this morning. This has gotten me thinking a bit.

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
Gonk...... LOL  I'm all for the new stuff Tamer, let's be honest here they are willing to invest in the 6" line but not the 3 3/4 inch line... period.  I have a wider opinion, but I simply didn't want to go down the rabbit hole.   I mean c'mon .....I'm just supposed to blind buy a 3 3/4 figure or shell out cash cause they slapped a new sticker on it?  Were we all suppose to ooh and aw over 5POA?  As for voting with my dollars.... that's exactly what the 3 3/4 inch fan base, including myself, have been doing  ::)   :-*    **For what its worth, the Mandalorian offerings were pretty cool, so its not like they haven't gotten some of my monies....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:46:50 PM by dax415 »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
We have the 1/48 scale Legion figures, but my biggest gripe is the static poses. For instance the stormtroopers are all in the same pose. You have to cut and reglue the joints to have more than one.  You can paint them any way you want though. They're really cool, but I'm not the greatest at painting them. It would be awesome to have something like that articulated in 1/18. Honestly it's difficult enough just to get them to pay attention to 3.75 to begin with. If it were American made products I could see them wanting to cut production costs, and offer something like that, but but the production costs overseas is so low it wouldn't be worth the gamble. Only customizers would want something like that. I personally like figures with jumpsuits, because they can be made into a lot of different types of figures.

As for Hasbro. You can't let your wallet do the talking, because the availability doesn't meet demand. The tank drivers/commanders are insanely overpriced on the secondary market, as are many of the rarely released new figure from the line. Honestly, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I could swear they're trying to get 3.75 collectors to give up. That's the onlyl logical explanation for their actions. I'm doing the best I can to support the line, but they make it really difficult. The Gonk droid is just a retools of the previous Gonk, just to shut the Kenner fanatics up. From a customizing standpoint it's a waste of a "new figure" slot. I could glue a bunch of crap to a Gonk droid too. BFD.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
That was my thinking on the Gonk too. I mean, if they are going to only relase one true wave a year (if that is what it is now) then at least make sure we get new figures. Not just repackage and say its new. And then not the same old characters that have been done over and over again. Lets make it all new and then see if it sells and then, if they distribute it right, we can really see let your wallet do the talking.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
Everything you’ve suggested is easily doable, I agree, but those in charge of 3.75” SW do not seem interested in seeing the line thrive. Hasbro recently renewed the license, so another company with comparable resources capitalizing on the lack of 3.75” SW seems unlikely anytime soon. Hasbro are also not McFarlane. They do not need their 3.75” SW to thrive. They should want it to, and it certainly could, but they have many licenses and seem willing to let the production of 3.75” figures slow to a trickle while simultaneously pumping out wave after wave of 6”, the scale that is more profitable per figure. Hasbro creating blanks for a small fraction of the SW collecting demographic sounds wonderful in theory (I would love them!) but seems about as likely as them producing Jorus C’baoth. 😆

As far as Hasbro missing out, there are many small companies and folks doing their best to provide completed figures and customizing resources to enthusiasts. So far, Hasbro have been uninterested in preventing them from doing so. One was offering entire waves of carded vintage style figures at a premium; others design and print/cast heads, armor, and accessories, etc. No one else is mass producing 3.75” super articulated SW figures though, and cannot imagine doing so would be cost effective for anyone but a decently sized company with considerable resources (and an official license to create the product).

@Tamer, JDeck: Correct. We cannot buy what is not available. Hasbro have effectively hamstrung the line with poor offerings/repacks (see Wave 1 TVC 2.0 still clogging at many locations...) and distribution and are saying to us “well TVC 3.75” collectors, you want new product don’t you? If you win the race you can have it. All you have to do is run with two slashed hamstrings and we’ll be happy to reward your dedication! Oh, by the way, we provided GoA 5” a tricycle and ten second head start and TBS 6” will be competing in a Lamborghini provided by us. Good luck!” I definitely support the line when I can, sign petitions, etc, but I think ultimately we’re just in an echo chamber in these collecting communities. Hasbro are going to do what they want, whatever their number crunchers and rodent overlords ordain; whatever they perceive “the market demands.”

Edit: About the upcoming GONK release- I actually find it to be one of the least offensive TVC offerings this year although it is more like a smart repack than a new figure. The existing GONK is a decent mold, and more droids are always great. I think it makes sense in that it appeases a few factions of the collecting community. The card looks great -for me, the best of the year- so that satisfies carded collectors and “release the original 96” folks. The droid has not been offered with this paint scheme and from promo shots it looks clean enough, so that likely satisfies OT purists and many loose collectors as well. I definitely want new figures as well, but if Hasbro are going to repack definitive molds, this might be one of the times they got it right. Commander Wolffe, on the other hand? Yikes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:26:15 AM by Aude »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
I probably am bashing on the Gonk a bit I do agree. Its not bad, just compared to other characters that could have seen releases. Like Cloud City folks, or Echo Base personel, but at least it wasn't a different Vader or something like that.

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
Tamer, we all knew you were making a light hearted jab.  It's just frustration, which is warranted given the current state of things. 

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
No offense to JDeck and Aude, not trying to poop on either of your opinions.... but I only threw out examples/brainstorm of what could be done to support the 3 3/4 line to make it self sufficient.  If they are going to repack, it could at least be figures we want.  What I was trying to avoid was this thread becoming a meaningless gripe session of captain obvious comments.  Some of your points (and I only emphasize some, not all) completely detract or miss the mark when it comes to what I'm saying.  They aren't McFarlene (never said they were) and my idea targets a crowd of customizers, isn't it at all.  If I went full fledged run down nitty gritty... I'd flat out be doing someone else's job.  If Hasbro or anyone else for that matter, gets what I'm saying.... I'd be open to being hired to explain further cause I'm not ignorant on how overseas manufacturing works either.  If its one point I'd definately like to make, please don't lie to us and tell us 3 3/4 isn't worthwhile or it's somehow the fan base's fault the line went stagnant.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 01:48:36 PM by dax415 »

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
No offense taken- I think we all want to see 3.75” thrive. Who are unassembled, unpainted blanks intended for if not customizers?