Author Topic: DR's casts  (Read 941 times)

Offline Darth Revenge

• Living Dead Sith
  • Colonel
    • Darth Revenge on FB
DR's casts
« on: July 27, 2024, 12:04:31 AM »
Here are the casts I've already done. Some are not on the shot, they are in place in Jabba's Stands (cantina tables and Watto's Box chairs).

Some of them are made in resin, some in plaster, others in air dry clay or foam clay.

Some parts are as they came out of the mold, others have already been worked, and some others are finished, ready to be incorporated into a diorama.

I used different techniques as classic silicone mold, re usable material (put block in warm water, and apply, I have forgotten it's name), and undryable clay called Plastiline.

Of course, there are fails, I will try to use them after some work on them, or throw them in garbage...

Plaster castings are very sensitive to moisture and require a protective layer/fixative. They are also very fragile, and do not like shocks at all, and some of them have come out of the mould and caused damage.

Air drying clay musn't be used in closed molds. An IG-88 fails, even after 3 days of drying.

The best is resin, but it cost much more and requires protective equipment.
Living Dead Never Die - There is no death, only the Dark Side

Offline Darth Revenge

• Living Dead Sith
  • Colonel
    • Darth Revenge on FB
Re: DR's casts
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2024, 05:30:17 AM »
As told to starchaser this morning (for me, there is some jet lag;) here are pix of my painting training on some casts.

My approach was to give a rusty look with some metallic effects.

The first mistake is the primer... I use black acrylic, plaster drinks a lot.
Next, using black as first layer is not a good idea for some part. depend of final color.
So, I tried dry brushing first with metallic paint, and next tried wash technique. I think it's a second error, better do wash first and dry brushing next.
My
What did ISY's regular custom-makers think about this ?

Those casts are going to be used as parts of the DS trash compactor scene

Living Dead Never Die - There is no death, only the Dark Side

Online Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: DR's casts
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2024, 11:27:20 PM »
Those look good. I've have little experience with plaster. Maybe seal it with something like Modge Podge first?