Author Topic: Clonehead's custom vehicle project  (Read 24441 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's custom vehicle project
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
Thanks MB! I went on a Hobby Lobby run last night and came home with a 3/8 wood dowel to replace the main barrel with. I was worried about the plastic tube I had originally used warping over time and wanted something with a slightly larger diameter. I cut the dowel to length and hollowed one end out. Then I had to expand the entry hole into the main body of the gun and shave off some clearance issues further back inside the gun body. Now things look about right other than there is a bit of up and down movement to the new piece that can be fixed by installing a spacer/block above the barrel and below the top of the inside of the gun body around where the rear end of the barrel is when it is at its extended length. I will just make a mark on the barrel so tamer will know where to extend it to otherwise, if he pulls it out too far and then goes to push it back in without paying attention, he would run the risk of knocking this block loose.
When retracting the barrel inside the gun body, The barrel can travel all the way to the back of the gun body so there will be plenty of room for the traveling position inside the walker. The travel of the barrel is still stiff enough that no pin or locking mechanism should be required. Simply pull or push the barrel back and forth with your fingers.

I still plan on replacing the upper and lower barrel with something else possibly. They are just there for reference.

Spot on fantastic Clint. You are making it look just like the protoype. Coolio, if I may use Lucasclones' term. Needless to say, I am a bit excited about this, but will try to keep myself under control here. Of course I am off to the front page with this. I am also gonna share it on the Classic SW Facebook Page I am admining as that has over 3,000 likes already.
I'm glad you approve, buddy. Thanks for the FP love.
I will be glad to get the barrel work done so I can get the gun painted up and add some greeblies. At that point, it may look a little better than the prototype but the shape should stay the same, at least from a distance.

3000 likes already. Man, that facebook page is taking off.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
Oh I have no doubt with you working on it it will look better than the Kenner Version. Its the Clonehead working on the project daggone it!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »
Alright, lets continue on. The next thing I needed to do was stop any lateral movement of the main gun barrel when it is static and posed or traveling back into the gun body.
The first daunting but simple task was to fab a block to space the rear of the gun barrel inside the body the correct  distance from the top of the inside of the gun body to where the barrel would stick out in a straight line and not droop. I determined the proper space by comparing the barrel to lines cast into the gun body comparing these lines to the line of the barrel using a ruler as a straight edge and eye balling it.

The block was fabbed out of a piece of sprue cut to length and then drilled and pinned to the underside of the top of the gun with part of a staple.
After that, I once again checked for lateral straightness and made a strap for the underside of the barrel using a piece of clear blisterpack plastic. Now, the lateral movement of the back end of the barrel is contained while still allowing the barrel to reciprocate. And by crazy chance, the strap ends up being almost exactly where the rear end of the barrel needs to be to stick out of the gun at the same distance that the kenner prototype does. This can be a reference point for Shawn.
  Its hard to see in this shot but the end of the wood barrel can be seen under the clear plastic strap. If you pull the barrel too far forward past the strap, its not hard to thread it back in while looking from  the underside of the gun body.  This was a simple fix that had to be preformed in a tight ill lit spot inside the gunbody and when I finished and everything worked right, I was thrilled.

Now that the hard part is done, lets have some fun. Its funny how some fodder pieces end up in a project. I dug for a while this morning for bits to build the upper and lower barrels out of and these three pieces was what I decided on after all of the cool stuff I looked through.
One is a cw figure gun, the silver ring is part of a ball point pen,"which I didn't end up using" and I have no idea what that tapered black thing is. My plan was to incorporate these pieces with the resin missile pieces that I had used as mock ups to build my upper and lower barrels,

Now to look at my buddy Tamer, one would think that he would be gentle with the custom figures and vehicles in his possession but that is not the case, folks. Take it from me, he is a brute and I have several pieces that he has returned for repair to prove it. This means that things must be structurally sound if they are to last in Tamer's possession. LOL

Starting on the upper barrel, I drilled and pinned into the gun body using 16 ga coated tie wire which is stout but can be bent a bit if something needs to be straightened.

I had cut off part of that cw missile launcher to use here and threaded it over the tie wire holding  it straight and glued it into place around the pin positioning it where it wouldn't change the profile of the back of the gun too much. In front of this piece, I cut the remaining length of the top mock up missile piece to fit into our length parameters, drilled out the back so it could inset some off center towards the main barrel, and then drilled out the furthest end and mounted it. I'm going to say that this top barrel contains some kind of sensor array or perhaps even some sort of optics and will add some greeblies to the cw part of this barrel later.

The lower barrel also got drilled and pinned and there i used that black piece and drilled a hole into it so that it could thread over the lower resin missile mock up piece which was drilled and pinned to the gunbody with it's end drilled out. "I figure this lower barrel can be for exhaust of gasses as the gun recoils while being fired."

Now that the main barrel work is done, I need to patch some holes in the gun body where the screws are and fix that pesky loose factory gun mount hinge and then we can start painting on this bad boy and throw some details on.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »
Outstanding work, sir!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »
Simply gorgeous Clint. My family just came over to the computer to see what all the commotion was about.

Thanks for thinking of that reference pic for the gun barrel. I even understood your schematics.

And to be fair about the Tamer Household; with two cats nicknamed Vader and Luke there are always lightsaber dules in the house happening all times of the day and night so yes customs are sometimes in the crossfire. And then there is the six year old Gal Emperor who knows daddy won't mind if I just look at it (which to her means picking up and playing with more often than not). It is always to constant battle of good over evil. However, this bad boy is gonna be part of my Ultimate Hoth Diorama and will spend most of its life behind thick tempered glass display cases.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
You know I am just teasing you, buddy. Thanks doc, this is alot of fun.
  Alright Tamer, Lets talk about color. For the gun, I believe you had mentioned a dark color like the kenner prototype, right? With lots of detail painting and technical looking greeblies?
I am going to have to make a hobby store run to get a darker grey that will work. i have something lighter, about the factory color of the walker's plastic and I dont want to have to mix enough for such a large area and not have it turn out uniform. I did pick up some valegho "miss spelled" which hobby lobby is now carrying that was this grey green color that I had been needing to try and since the gun needed a primer coat anyway. I threw some on to see how it looked. Now I know this isn't the color that you want but it certainly has a ww2 armor feel to it.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2013, 03:46:13 AM »
CH, the main gun conversion looks superb. I can see that Tamer is drooling over this one, as am I!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2013, 06:32:22 AM »
Wow Clint I can see what you mean by this cannon color. I know we had thought about giving it a more colorful look (i.e. some of the past painted versions we had seen), but this sure does look good too. Maybe another color or two on a small area here and there to break up all the grey, but not much perhaps? I leave it in your hands. I love the look of this so far. Hey, another thing I was thinking of after seeing your latest work on your LAAT front cannons. Are you thinking of hollowing out a bit of the end of this main gun and painting the inside black like you did with the Gunship front cannon conversion?

All of this is back on the front page and am gonna post it on our Classic SW Page (almost 4,000 likes btw). You sure don't mess around when set your mind to it. Freaking fantastic buddy.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2013, 06:35:59 AM »
Clint that is looking superb!  Happy New Year buddy !
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2013, 07:27:33 AM »
Happy new year to you, Jay, Jules, and everyone else here at the shipyards. I am enjoying how this build up is going.
  Nope, Shawn, I like this color but it wouldn't work unless the walker was a similar color which would look cool. It's going to be a dark grey base coat with detail painting and greeblies galore. I did hollow all of the barrels out but haven't painted the insides of the ends black yet.
  MAn, why couldn't hobby lobby be open today?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »
Sounds great to me Clint. Figured you would have those barrels hollowed after seeing that great LAAT gun work.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »
Clint, awesome build so far man! I am so glad to see you made time to get back to this build! Thanks for your step by step explanation of everything you had to do to make this work. So cool that the barrel will telescope out of the gun body, not the easiest task to accomplish. I know this prototype walker will become the highlight of Shawn's collection when you are done. I agree with you, stick to the original paint scheme so it looks like Shawn got his hands on the actual Hasbro vehicle. Excellent craftsmanship my friend.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2013, 11:48:39 AM »
Thanks a lot, LE'
  You hear that, Shawn? LE thinks I should go with the prototype paint scheme which would mean a rusty looking walker which I thought looked cool.
We are going to have to approach the subject of the walker body design and paint scheme again one of these days.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »
I had always envisioned this being deployed on Hoth in response to some of the Transports getting away due to the Ion Cannon as far as my diorama was concerned, but I can definitely see where L.E. is coming from. The prototype sure does look like a Tatooine job for sure.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2013, 06:46:59 AM »
Got a couple of shots here of the gun wearing its new base color. It looks a bit darker in person but will darken more still as when I detail paint, I plan on using some darker grey and gunmetal colors.