Author Topic: Clonehead's custom vehicle project  (Read 24444 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's custom vehicle project
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
Oh but it itches at my brain, buddy. It itches.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
Oh but it itches at my brain, buddy. It itches.

LOL. I hear you Clint. I hear you.

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2010, 04:46:12 PM »
that at-rt looks awesome! ;D

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2010, 07:33:47 PM »
Thank you, Lux.

Tamer, I found this pic of a painted up death star cannon over at yakface and wanted you to see it. It doesnt look quite as pretty as the one we looked at that one time but I figured you would like to see it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2010, 04:33:04 AM »
Looks good. I agree with you that it is not as nice as that one you shared pics off, but it is nice. I can't wait to see what you do with the few I sent you! I remember being an ebay hound on those! Boy, getting some complete was rough.

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »
looks nice!

Offline darth neo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
COOL AT AT AWESOME ...... BRAIN MALFUNCTION........ TOO GOOD .... GET TO IT GET TO IT AHHHH ...!!! lol cant wait for it i can imagine it now ...........

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »
Sorry to have been so absent of late. It has been a very busy year work wise and I havent done any custom work since March. Now, it seems that I have some time off and while I cannot say how long it will last, i can feel that custom bug growing in me now.
  While my plan is to try to hop back into Tamer's Walker project, I had another little idea that I had been tinkering with for some time and finally executed today. Who knows why i haven't done this yet, what with all of the gunship missiles that I have cast up over the last few years.
     I took a pair of my cast gunship nose missiles and drilled out the ends to make em look more like the cannon barrels that they are supposed to represent. I painted the insides black to show more depth and the outsides light grey to go with my rots gunship.

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
I'd totally buy a set of those casts and do exactly that.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2012, 10:32:06 PM »
nice  job Clint they really add to the realism
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2012, 07:48:51 AM »
Its a custom update from Clint! Awesome and boy that does make it look more realistic. Back on the front page bud.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »
Thanks fellers! Now back to Tamer's ATIC project.

First off, it was time to break out the razor saw again and hack off the part of the stock gun that was forward of that block which was the furthest forward point of the Kenner team's gun prior to their modifications.

Next, I drilled out the hole for my main barrel using a 1/4 inch paddle bit and my cordless drill. Just past the t-shaped recess for the stock barrel was a floating rectangle of plastic sandwiched in between the two halves of the gun that served no purpose that I removed. Behind that was the plastic receiving shank of a screw that is one of the three that holds the two halves of the gun together. I removed the screw and drilled out the plastic shank so our barrel would clear. "remember, we want the barrel to be able to travel back inside the gun body for simulated recoil and to allow the barrel to be shortened to be able to stow the gun in it's traveling position inside the walker. The screw hole will have to be filled later.

After completing this task, not only does the gun barrel fit and travel like we need, but it is tight enough inside the gun body not to need any sleeves installed in the interior of the gun to contain its length in a lateral way. Sweet! "i still dont know how the paint will hold up to the inch-inch and a half of barrel travel for stowage we are talking about though" I may need to incorporate some sort of installation to make and keep the barrel straight as this epoxy gun extension tube is prone to warp a bit with age.

First, I will repost the pic of the original ATIC Prototype which was built by the Kenner team in the early 80s to show to corporate in a bid to revitalize the line that was never produced.

These shots are of a mock up of the alterations i performed to the gun today. The main barrel is about a mm two narrow by my calculations looking at the proto pic and while I would like to correct this, it would depend on if I could find something the right diameter to use. The upper and lower piece are just scraps from some resin missiles that I had lying around that I cut to what seemed the appropriate length and glued in place to get a feel for what should look right.

this last shot shows the mocked up gun with it's barrel pushed back inside by 1 1/2 inches to allow clearance from the rear bulkhead while also allowing clearance of the rear of the gun to what would be the position of a forward bulkhead when we get around to making one. I have the front of the gun propped up with a lighter as the factory mounting joint inside the gun is still loose.
As soon as I get these barrels figured out, that's the first thing I am going to fix.

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2012, 09:07:14 PM »
Great stuff!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2012, 08:13:54 AM »
Thanks MB! I went on a Hobby Lobby run last night and came home with a 3/8 wood dowel to replace the main barrel with. I was worried about the plastic tube I had originally used warping over time and wanted something with a slightly larger diameter. I cut the dowel to length and hollowed one end out. Then I had to expand the entry hole into the main body of the gun and shave off some clearance issues further back inside the gun body. Now things look about right other than there is a bit of up and down movement to the new piece that can be fixed by installing a spacer/block above the barrel and below the top of the inside of the gun body around where the rear end of the barrel is when it is at its extended length. I will just make a mark on the barrel so tamer will know where to extend it to otherwise, if he pulls it out too far and then goes to push it back in without paying attention, he would run the risk of knocking this block loose.
When retracting the barrel inside the gun body, The barrel can travel all the way to the back of the gun body so there will be plenty of room for the traveling position inside the walker. The travel of the barrel is still stiff enough that no pin or locking mechanism should be required. Simply pull or push the barrel back and forth with your fingers.

I still plan on replacing the upper and lower barrel with something else possibly. They are just there for reference.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »
Spot on fantastic Clint. You are making it look just like the protoype. Coolio, if I may use Lucasclones' term. Needless to say, I am a bit excited about this, but will try to keep myself under control here. Of course I am off to the front page with this. I am also gonna share it on the Classic SW Facebook Page I am admining as that has over 3,000 likes already.