Author Topic: Clonehead's custom vehicle project  (Read 24438 times)

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
Re: Clonehead's custom vehicle project
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
looking great Clint !
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »
CH, If your figures are anything to go by, this is going to be something reeeaaaally cool!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »
Thanks gentlemen. I hope so, Jules. I'm sorry for the slow updates on continuing work on the gun. I have been filling parts orders and then working on that mando figure in my spare time.
I am ready to dive into that gun again, though.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
Yes, I have been bouncing back and forth and have neglected this project. Sorry about that.
I had intended to have alot of work done by this post but the first steps of this part ended up taking longer than I had anticipated and what I have to show you will take several pics so I figured I would start off small.
  Its funny what fodder you will choose when adding greeblies to a project. Its even more funny to be able to identify parts even when you find them forgotten iin the bottom of a drawer somewhere.
Here is what I chose for what I want to do. You got what is left of a 1/25th scale intake from an lt1 chevy motor taken from an iroc z model, I believe. "i have carved that part down to fit where I want it to go" The round part on the left is part of a road wheel from a 1/35th scale tank model and the one up top is a wheel from a scrap model plane's landing gear that I carved down to the size that I needed. That last chrome piece is a group of 3 gauges from another car model. And, I chose a length of house electrical wire from a bag full of the stuff that I have laying around here. I may switch to a smaller gauge, we will see.

Shot two is the pieces painted up a bit before installation.
I dropped that darned intake when I was painting on it and couldnt find it for about 15 min. Turns out it was wedged in the cracks of my office chair.

this shot shows the two round pieces in place, covering these two screw holes.

and here is the intake piece and the gauge cluster installed.

I know, no big deal, right? It's what comes next that i think you will like.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:18:36 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2013, 03:13:01 AM »
OK, several hours later, I got a little further but still have some stuff to do on this particular part of the greeblie additions.

I had decided a little while ago that when I covered the screw holes that I also wanted to integrate some kind of fluid lines to the gun to continue with the industrial looking theme. Hydraulic lines, cooling lines, whatever.
  Wanting to dress it up for Tamer, I chose some after marked car model detailing turned aluminum tapered hex fittings and had went hunting for the right gauge of wire to make fluid lines out of to work with these fittings. I had originally chose this 16 gauge coated tie wire as the size and as I went to apply bends to it, the epoxy coating was bulging where the bends were so I changed the size to 16 gauge uncoated and switched up my fitting size to be one size smaller.

Then I grabbed the pin vise and started drilling holes to accept the wire in what is now our plumbing blocks for these lines. When I drilled the holes for the upper forward block, I was drilling for the larger gauge wire and now that I have switched to a smaller gauge, the holes are a bit big. I will either make a receiving sleeve for each of these holes or will allow the fittings to inset into the drilled holes slightly which could look cool anyways.

Now that the holes are drilled, its time for some precise bending of the first line.

Now for some even more precise bending of the second line as we are trying to make the bends look somewhat uniform an the lines run somewhat parallel to each other.

I plan on using something off of this 1/35th panzer kit sprue to serve as a pair of brackets to mount to the gun to support the lines along their length to make them look alot less like they are floating in space.

Looking at it like this, It kind of looks a little retro which is ok and will even more so when I get done with this little section of the gun. It still doesn't look like much but when I get this part done, you are going to like it. I can see it in my head right now and it looks cool.

Ok, none of the lines are glued in place as we need to mount the fittings first but before that, I need to go back and detail paint on the fluid blocks first as I boogered em up a bit drilling and fitting the lines in. I need to paint the lines to keep the wire from rusting just in case Tamer leaves this out in the rain one day. I was going to go with the gunmetal color and leave the fittings their stock shiny turned aluminum color. I need to kitbash the two brackets and add anything to them that seems necessary or looks nice.

And, I have another car model aftermarket product that I want to use on this assembly to finish it off. It will be a surprise.

I know, Tamer, it looks weird. Just wait till I get these lines dressed up before passing judgement.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2013, 04:55:10 AM »
attention to detail is superb mate !
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
Loving the small details you are adding Clint! Excellent work withe the model bits, this is looking really good buddy!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »
I don't think it looks weird. I love it! Wow Clint, thanks for pulling out all the stops for this one. Back to the front page oh yeah!!!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
Like I said before... this is going to be really amazing. You are a master craftsman and seeing your WIP's makes me really appreciate all of the skill you have. Did you actually bend those pipes yourself?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
I did, Jules, and I can see that I need to tweak one of em from the pics. Thanks to you and all of the other shipyarders for your positive comments. Its like I told tamer, this post was just to set up for the next one which is going to be more impressive if I play my cards riight.  By the time I finish this project, Ill be able to talk tamer into picking it up personally as he wont trust it to be shipped to west virginia.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2013, 08:01:12 AM »
OK, I'm still not done but needed to take a break before finishing this assembly.
I had mentioned that at the forward plumbing block, I was either going to cut a sleeve from where the pipe leaves the block and then put the fitting after it or just recess the fitting into the block some.

first shot shows the wire I chose to strip some insulation from for a sleeve
second shot shows the trimmed sleeve
third shot shows a comparison in between the sleeve used on one side and the fitting on the other. I decided that I didn't like the sleeve and went for the fitting recessed into the block.

Here are the two brackets that I chose from the armor kit's sprue

After much trimming, sizing, and pre positioning and after touching up the paint to the plumbing block areas, I now have the brackets mounted in place supporting the top plumbing line.

Was this little bit of work tedious? Yes
Upon our first meeting will Tamer now owe me a beer? Yes
Am I done with this little plumbing bit of an added detail? No, I will have to touch op the paint on the brackets, and on the piping and I will have to fab up something from the bracket to contain the top pipe and connect to something similar at the bottom pipe at the 2 bracket locations.
  I also have to choose and add that other aftermarket car model detail that I had mentioned, the sprue of which may be integrated into finishing the bracket work.

Offline bump

• Cadet
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »
Fantastic and tremendously inspiring

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »
LOL! I think I might have to throw two beers into the mix for that. Clint, this is really daggone impressive. I just love the attention to the smallest detail here. I can see this is going to be the highlight of my collection when it gets done. Thank you for agreeing to do this for me.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2013, 04:09:21 PM »
This is one hell of a build Clint and love all the little extras you are using to build this, I can't wait to see this complete as I know it is going to be exceptional.

Ron

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2013, 12:55:01 PM »
thank you Bump and Ron, and yes, Tamer, you are always welcome, my friend. Shawn has been a bit under the weather lately and I think he needs some cheering up.

First off, I wanted to share a pic that was on the card of the Saga Death Star gunner showing our gun, more or less, in a scene that I am not sure that I remember seeing in A New Hope.
Notice that gunner up top? He is sighting in his target using some sort of optical device mounted to the top of the gun that isnt included in our factory gun, at least not looking that way.
I just thought it was interesting.

OK, I had forgot to mention that the turned aluminum fittings that I used on our piping assembly were Detail Master items. Now for another car model aftermarket detail from a company called Model Car Garage. This is a set of their Photo etched nickel Automotive Gauges for 1-24th and 1-25th scale car models that feature photo etched nickel gauge housings and bezels, the faces of which are black printed on clear plastic. What you are supposed to do here is paint a background color on the backside of the gauge face that will show through behind the graphics, cut the gauge face out and glue it to the backside of the gauge housing using white glue. The front plastic face of the gauge face kind of makes it look like the gauge is behind glass. Tedious small stuff, let me tell you. I lost one gauge face while cutting and when things are this small, if you drop it, more than likely, it's gone. The gauge housing and bezels are to be cut from the sprue with either a sharp hobby knife or a pair of micro scissors.

Here is the gauge housing that I chose pre painted "remind me to stop doing that" and a set of three gauge faces painted from behind. See how I painted the red needle first and then painted the white background? Perhaps not as we are getting pretty small for the camera here. I was experimenting with my real camera the other day and it didn't seem to be focusing any tighter than the phone does even with the macro setting. perhaps if I dialed the resolution up it would help.

Here are the gauge faces ready to be trimmed and glued into place. It would have been nice had the faces been spaced on the sheet to just cut a strip of 3 and go but no, the spacing wasn't right so I have to do these one at a time. The housing face has an etched line in the bottom that allows for a right angle bend for mounting of the assembly.

Here they are glued into place. That took forever and I lost one of the faces so I used one from a different sheet and put it in the middle.

Here is the gauge assembly mounted on top of the forward plumbing block. Now we are looking both retro and industrial at the same time.

My original thought was to use strips of the etched nickle sprue to make straps out of for where the brackets meet the top cooling line but they were so springy while bending that I lost the first one several times and decided to use the styrene strips instead.

Here is a shot of the strips glued down and around to make our straps.

And finally, here are the straps painted up. I ended up scraping the paint off of the Gauge face assembly and going for the bare brushed alluminum look which negated the need for the bezels as you would see them better on a painted background so, I didn't use em.

Man, that also took longer than I thought. I have a couple of other fires to start or put out today. I had better get to it.

what do you think, Shawn, is this too conservative or, do I need to tone it down a bit?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:08:57 PM by Clonehead »