Author Topic: jlw515's Custom Vehicles  (Read 27238 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: jlw515's Custom Vehicles
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 08:07:03 AM »
On the front page, my comments are. :D

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 05:45:32 AM »
So as many of you know, with the recent slump in Star Wars toys, I have recently gotten into modern G.I. Joe collecting. I was a big fan of Joe toys from 1982 to about 1987. I had bought some 25th Anniv. figures and customized them into Star Wars characters, but never really considered collecting Joe toys in and of themselves. Then late last year I did a trade on ISY for a Baroness figure. I customized her with a new face (pictures soon), and that was it – the Joe customizing bug bit me!

Anyway, here are some custom G.I. Joe vehicles I’ve done recently,

A.P.C.

custom “blue prints” I made based off of the Type 92 IFV

The stickers were made using Photoshop and Power Point. I printed them off on Testor’s transparent water decals. They worked out alright, but they are not as “transparent” as I was hoping for. I probably wouldn’t recommend these to anyone. I’d suggest buying the clear vinyl stickers from Cobra Stickers.

That’s my custom Cover Girl in the driver’s hatch!

The weathering was done by spraying a mist of dark army green and/or black in various areas. I also used the “salt method” on the sides and back, and then sprayed a mist of beige over the salted areas to give it a dirty, dried mud look. In the back are Stalker, Resolute Flint, custom Gung-Ho, and custom Scarlett (that’s a Black Widow face with Resolute Scarlet hair on Resolute Scarlett body).

DRAGONFLY AH-64 ATTACK HELICOPTER

This is a True Heroes Longbow Apache (TRU exclusive) painted dark army green with black overspray around the engines, underbelly, and tail.

“blue prints” actually they’re black, but you get the point. I loved making these “blue prints” for each of these customs!

Once again custom decals made with Photoshop & Power Point. I drew the “Dragonfly” logo. Decals were printed on Testor’s water decals. You can see they are more translucent than transparent.

painted the cockpit grey and gave it a wash in black to bring out some of the details.

I had to cut the floor out of the gunner’s seat for the figure to fit right. Otherwise the Joe figures fit great! Hasbro should really take some lessons from these True Heroes toys and World Peace Keepers!

As you can see Wild Bill fits just fine with either his helmet or cowboy hat on. I just recently purchased the BBI Elite Force 1:18 scale Apache Helicopter! Man that thing is awesome! So this custom will probably be re-customized into an AH-64 “Fang” Cobra ‘copter. I’ll post images soon of comparison between the BBI Apache and the True Heroes Apache, you will be amazed!

Abrams MBT (MoBaT)

Obligatory G.I. Joe Issue 1 homage shot. I don’t own a “Flash” figure, so I substituted my custom Snake-Eyes. I like the black mixed with green – it focuses more on his “military career” than him being a ninja. Also in this pic are a custom Steeler I purchased from ebay, my custom Zap, and again my custom Scarlett.

All the blue prints are based on actual real life vehicles.

As always comments, critiques, and/or concerns about being discouraged about SW collecting, or not being all that impressed with Dune (little joke there for Jules) are welcome!

Jason
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:56:09 AM by jlw515 »

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 01:04:10 PM »
Very cool! The APC looks like the one I used to make my USCMC Aliens APC! :)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 02:09:59 PM »
This is awesome. On the front page with more comments.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »
Man! Those classic Joes military vehicles will blow the head of old school fans. Amazing

DH

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2013, 05:21:14 AM »
Thanks for the front page props!

The APC was made from a world Peace Keepers Infantry Fighting Vehicle. It's actually based off of a Chinese Type 92 IFV, which broke my heart to find out its actually a Communist vehicle. I think that design is also used by some African forces also.

Didn't realize that I didn't make any comments about the Mobat. It too is a World Peace Keepers toy (available at Big Lots, but I bought mine fromBBTS) . I painted it by spraying dark army green and black in certain areas. I also have it a wash with black to bring out some detail. Then a mist of beige to simulate dried mud. The stickers are customs printed on Testors Water Decals.

Jason
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:27:16 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »
You are quite welcome.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 08:39:53 AM »
In times like these all you can do is collect Joes. Loving these vehicles man! Thanks for the update and look forward to seeing more from you soon.

Offline PrimitiveTodd

• Ensign
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »
I love what you did with the Rebel transport and the Falcon!!! Well done on all of them however...Very blown away...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2013, 04:41:17 AM »
I had to get that Longbow on the front page too.

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2013, 06:47:28 PM »
Just wanted to say, I love these customs.  great work!

Say, for your Defiant/Home One, what did you use for the large circular holo display?

cheers!

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »
Just wanted to say, I love these customs.  great work!

Say, for your Defiant/Home One, what did you use for the large circular holo display?

cheers!

That holo table is actually a science-type toy that was available from Toys R Us. I think the company name is Uncle Milton. It's actually a small table designed to look like the holotable from ROTJ. It came with some round cards you can put on center piece and then spin it to show movement like old animation cells. The scale of the table is pretty close to perfect for Star Wars figures.

Jason

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 10:03:18 PM »
Here is my custom Retaliation VAMP Mark 2 made from the Ninja 4x4 Jeep. This is basically a simple repaint (like most everyone else's). I did some over spray in certain areas to add some weathering & resemble mud. I used the stickers from the POC VAMP Mk2. I was glad those stickers came with the Scorpion emblem. I've read a lot of complaints about this vehicle and the POC version, but I absolutely love this thing!! If Hasbro played their cards right, they could reissue this same vehicle in tan as the VAMP Mark 2, and mold one in black & grey as a Cobra Stinger. Everyone and their brother are making these simple customs!!

Comments & critiques encouraged!!

Jason

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2013, 03:00:38 AM »
I like this too. More comments on the front page. :D

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2013, 04:59:19 AM »
Thanks Tamer! We may not say it enough, but it really means a lot (to me at least) to check out ISY and to see your own custom work on the front page! I really appreciate how you try to put an update for every new custom on the front page.

Now to the VAMP Mk2, I think this is one of the greatest vehicle sculpts Hasbro has put out in a long time. The POC/Retaliation VAMP actually looks more like the Lamborgini Cheetah than the original ARAH VAMP. Plus the new VAMP is more to scale with the action figures. If you put a new Joe figure in the old ARAH VAMP mold he'll be looking at the roll bar and not out the front windshield area.

Hopefully Hasbro knows what they got and already have plans for next year to release these in different color schemes.

Jason