Author Topic: How did you start collecting?  (Read 11164 times)

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
Re: How did you start collecting?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 08:55:56 PM »
 I am new to this site, but not new to Star Wars. All the customizers on here is what drew my attention.

I have always collected toys. Mostly Star Wars. I was 2 or 3 when Star Wars came out in '77. I remember going and seeing it at the drive in and never made it all the way through without falling asleep. So when I was 5 Empire Strikes Back came out.

Anyways, I had all the old stuff. Then in '94 my Mom had an auction and sold all my old stuff. The only thing I got to keep was a few figures, one  is the Emperor that I had to mail off for and it took 6 months to get, and also the Ewok village. All my ships are gone.

So in '96 I was working in a 7-11 and I seen a Heir To The Empire comic book. That lead me to seek out the books. Then they started remaking everything and that was the time Shadows Of The Empire was coming out and the Special Editions were getting ready to come out.
So every since then I have been collecting. I will try to get some pictures on here ASAP. I open mine. I see all these people who display boxes of ships, and carded figures, and I am like "Open them!"

I also collect Action Figures of all kinds, superheros, movies, video games, Lord of the Rings, He-Man, Transformers, etc., etc.....I have over 5000. So last year i had about 10 totes full of nothing but packages, cards, whatever you call them. So I cut them up, (I hear people cringing now), and made collages/posters that go behind my figures. I will post pictures soon.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 09:36:01 PM »
Welcome Mike!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 10:56:20 PM »
Welcome to the shipyards, Mike! I look forward to seeing those collages.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 11:26:24 PM »
welcome to the yards  :)
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

droidbait

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 08:18:41 AM »
i started collecting when episode 3 came out as i was only 9/10 at the time i remember when i got my first star wars figures they were anakin and yoda i was soo happy to get them at the time and i still collect now having over 100 star wars figures i now its not really alot but im still happy with what i have  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Welcome droidbait, and its not the size of the collection, but the memories you make with it that matters.

droidbait

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 09:54:37 AM »
thank u and yh the memories i will keep forever :) :) :) :)

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 03:43:19 PM »
I have been collecting ever since the movie Star Wars came out (Notice not A New Hope, but Star Wars, lol.)

I had all the Vintage Figures and some of the vehicles, I even had the Palitoy Deathstar (yes the cardboard one), however when I got older into my teens (15-16) I discovered other vices girls and drink, so my collection went the way of the dodo (I still have one figure from way back then a Snaggletooth with Furry Feet (the red one)).

Now moving on to me being bored one day when I was 28 yrs old, and seeing some of the new Star Wars items coming out, well I bought the entire collection of the POTF, POTJ and as time went on Blue Saga (sticking only to OT related figures).

Then I met my wife and knew I couldn't ship all of the figures to America, I also needed money for the Green Card process as well, so they were all sold - everything went that I had amassed apart from one figure (Yup you guessed it, Snaggletooth with the Furry Feet).

So I get over to America and marry my lovely Wife (who has the patience's of a saint, and really doesn't mind me collecting my plastic men as she puts it), so I started again but made sure I only concentrated on OT Related subjects, then Hasbro brings out the comic packs well there was figures in there that I had read about many moons ago so I purchased the ones I liked (unfortunately for me liking Star Wars Marvel - I was let down by all of the Marvel Packs, until Lumiya hit, then the buggers go and cancel the line, just my luck, lol). So anycase my collection consists of OT, EU (but only the older EU), Vintage and Clone Wars Animated Related (I still hate the prequel movies and would be quite happy if they went back and remade them, doing them in the same vein as the Clone Wars Animated cartoon - they could fix a lot of problems and tie them better in with the OT Movies and the EU).

So there you go my collecting focus, as for seeing my collection well all I can see is one day, when we move I will show my collection off, but at the min I can't as I have them in Totes and Boxes, I haven't even played with the BMF I got for christmas.

Offline FlakBait

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 11:52:09 PM »
Started back up in 95 when I went to a toy show and bought a vader and a stormtrooper orange card and been hooked ever since.Now that moneys tight I cut back on how much figures I buy but end up buying a ton if I find a good stash. So much for saving money

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 04:54:37 AM »
Welcome to the shipyards, Flakbait!

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 08:16:37 AM »
welcome to the "yards " a hive of scum and villi.......oh wait sorry thats Mos Eisley
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 02:56:53 PM »
Welcome FlakBait!

Offline darth neo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 12:39:19 PM »
well i watched anh wen i was 11 and thought borinngg and then after tpm came out i thought it looks good but i want my joes and then aotc came out oh man this was a goody i loved it the arena showdown ,geonosis,clones then ep 3 came out i loved order 66 and then at the near end 327TH they are the best( i share this with wattoh twi'leks are hot!!)
and then that took me over

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »
So how did you start collecting? What do you collect mostly?

I started collecting way back when the Special Edition came out. I remember buying my first figure, Luke Skywalker in X-Wing Gear from the POTF line (the one where all figures looked like they were jacked up on steroids). From there I collected the usual figures - Han, Vader, Boba Fett, Stromtroopers, as well as the vehicles (X-Wing, Snowspeeder, Outrider, Swoop, Landspeeder). But the main line that I got into collecting the most was the Action Fleet line. My first ship was the X-Wing (Porkins to be exact) and since then I was hooked. I loved how they were presented - not too big, not too small, nice features, cool mini-figures, and awesome variations on some ships.

Back then I didn't have a job, so it was hard for me to buy stuff. I tried to limit my collection by just buying what interested me. I was always into space combat/dogfighting/flight simulation ever since Rogue Squadron for Nintendo 64 came out, so I ended up just getting Action Fleets. Then I found out about the Die-Cast Series (now Titaniums). I collected those as well.

A few years ago I had a decent sized AF collection. I wasn't really into collecting anymore, and I sold the lot. I had a good sized collection, and even had the TIE Defender and E-Wing. Sold them on ebay for close to $300. My friends were like "You're gonna miss them someday." After a year or so, they were right. Dammit!

My hobby of collecting didn't really pick up until summer of 2008 when I saw people reviewing Star Wars items on youtube. By then I had already started up my AF collection again. I ended up getting a credit card (uh oh!) some time after that and registered with paypal and ebay. That's when I started filling up my collection of Action Fleets with the ones I always wanted or was missing. Now that I have a job (since 2002) and some income, its much easier to go out and buy stuff and not ask a family member for money. Now that my AF collection is just about complete, I moved on to Titaniums. Guess what? That line is now on hiatus. That's when I moved on to the pilot figures and the large scale vehicles. Granted I love the titaniums, figures and their ships, but nothing will ever replace my love for Action Fleets.

In order, my interest for collecting goes:
1:  Action Fleets
2:  Die-Cast/Titaniums
3:  Pilot figures/large scale ships
4:  Misc. items I find interesting (i.e. - Hoth Speeder Bike Patrol Pack)

What sucks about this hobby? My Dad thinks its childish, saying "You're not a little kid anymore." I have to do this behind his back, which saddens me a lot, because its not like I'm doing anything bad. Whenever I buy something I usually have to sneak it into the house. Everything I have is in my closet, nothing is on display. Maybe one of these days I'll tell him, who knows.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:03:07 PM by Goldleaderone »
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 10:16:38 PM »
Yeah, I love Action Fleet too. I wish they would start remaking them. As for your Dad saying you're not a kid anymore? Don't let him bring you down man. Just tell him this, "Every guy likes toy soldiers." Some of these ships in the Clone Wars would Rock as Action Fleet toys. I remember in the 80's when the 1st action fleet toys were out. I don't think that's what they were called but my friend had 2 of the x-wings and the Millenium Falcon and I always thought they were the coolest cuz you could take out the little figures out of the cockpit.
I wish I had the Action Fleet E-Wing, Tie Defender, and the Imperial Landing Shuttle. Those are the ones I missed out on.