Author Topic: Building a Better Boba: Greetings from Darklord  (Read 22980 times)

Offline kreeper2

• Brigadier
Re: Building a Better Boba: Greetings from Darklord
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2010, 06:27:37 AM »
GLOVES? the mans a freakin genious this custom is gonna be worth the wait cant wait for it to be done!!!

Offline Darklord1967

• Roberto DARKLORD Williams
  • Ensign
  • Peace, Love, Elegance, and Excellence to all!
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »
My camera has now been repaired, and I'll be taking delivery shortly, so the final updates to ol' Boba will be up in a couple of days.  So sorry for the delay.

In the meantime, I received a PM request a couple of days ago asking if I had any photos of any other recent Original Trilogy custom action figures that I had created.

Well...

From A NEW HOPE  here's my  Custom Uncle Owen Lars

Now there was a strange figure to make!

When that Owen / Darth Maul comic 2-pack was released this summer, like a lot of people, I thought "Great! A nice new OT version of Uncle Owen to replace the outdated POTF 2 version"

Then when I ordered the figure and it arrived, my heart sank... Legs too short (making him virtually the same height as Luke), small-headed (again), Overly wide-stanced, incorrectly-colored robe...

CUSTOMIZATION REQUIRED

I bought a duplicate Owen figure and used both to lengthen the legs by about 1/16th of an inch. The operation also narrowed the stance to an appropriate width.

Episode II Owen provided the correctly colored robe. And I took the time to do a head-swap (neck replacement and all)with the POTF 2 Owen Lars sculpt (which was the only part of that figure that was worth anything to me).

Now Owen Lars is properly stanced, properly outfitted, appropriately-aged, and next to my custom Luke, he is the correct height.

The only drawback is that now, after all that surgery, custom Owen is now REALLY a grouch!

And here are a couple of  Solos from THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Custom Bespin Han Solo

I'm a little tired of waiting for Hasbro to retire that wonky-torsoed, pencil-legged Han Solo body sculpt they've been using for the last few years.  And I know they'll eventually release a Bespin Han Solo.  But for the time being, I really don't see myself liking it more than my own custom figure.

Custom Hoth Han Solo

I thought Hasbro came close to nailing this figure.  They gave us versions with the hood sculpted up... sculpted down... blue coat... brown coat... yadda, yadda, yadda...

I just wanted a figure that had a soft-goods fur-lined hood that could flip back and reveal the Han Solo head sculpt (which is my personal favorite, and which I use with ALL of my custom Solos).  Also I know it's been Lucasfilm confirmed that Han Solo's coat was actually BROWN.  But I don't care!  It photographed blue-ish to my eyes, and as a tribute to the Vintage Kenner Hoth Han Solo action figure I owned as a kid, I made sure my modern Hoth Solo was a BLUE COAT!

Luke Skywalker: Tatooine Farmboy

Luke Skywalker: Jedi Knight

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi

Yoda
Once again, I've gotten a little tired of waiting for Hasbro to do a decent Original Trilogy Yoda.  Instead, they keep giving us pea-headed angry-looking "warrior" Yodas from the prequels.  He really should be large-headed so that he looks brainy... cerebral...

Emperor Palpatine

Darth Vader / Disfigured Anakin Skywalker

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2010, 07:14:38 PM »
I've been wanting to do a Han Solo custom. What figure does that favorite Han head come from? All of these images are fantastic by the way. I am also very interested to know what you used to make that Yoda.

Offline Darklord1967

• Ensign
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
I've been wanting to do a Han Solo custom. What figure does that favorite Han head come from? All of these images are fantastic by the way. I am also very interested to know what you used to make that Yoda.

Well you should know that as a sort of a TRIBUTE to the early days of the re-launch of the STAR WARS toy line (with POTF 2), I don't really bother with trying to make my Custom Action Figures of main characters look like younger or older versions of themselves relative to the film they are supposed to be from.  So I always choose ONE head sculpt that i like the most for each character, and use that sculpt for ALL versions of that character that i create.

Most of my preferred head sculpts for main human characters come from the Power of the Jedi line (from 2001), because i really feel that the sharpest sculpts and castings and the cleanest paints and decos for heads happened then.  My favorite human heads are as follows:

Luke Skywalker :  POTJ 25th Anniversary Swing To Freedom Luke Skywalker

Han Solo:  POTJ Death Star Escape Han Solo  (to my eyes, most closely resembles an idealized version of Han Solo right down to the lopsided, sarcastic smirk)

Lando Calrissian: POTJ Lando Calrissian: Bespin Escape

Princess Leia POTJ 25th Anniversary Swing To Freedom Leia,  POTJ Leia Organa Bespin Escape  (Both are the same sculpt with different hair).  This sculpt really captured the stern but cute likeness of Leia Organa.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: POTJ Ben Kenobi Jedi Knight.  Alright, while the latest "old Obi-Wan"  head sculpt is very nice, it is nevertheless shrunken AND ball-joint neck articulated... which means that a very odd jaw line is part of that sculpt.  For that reason, my favorite Kenobi head sculpt is still the 2001 POTJ Ben.

Anakin Skywalker  POTF 2 "Flashback" Anakin Skywalker  (A GREAT head sculpt, but boy was it tough to carefully shave away all his hair to make him bald!)

Now as for YODA, there has been NO SCULPT that more accurately captured the essence of that character (as seen in the Original Trilogy than the POTF 2 "Flashback"  Yoda (with rooted hair).  I converted that headsculpt for ball-jointed neck use, and adapted it to the Original Trilogy Collection (2004) SA Yoda body.  I got rid of the over-sized VOTC robe and replaced it with the more suitably-sized vintage Kenner Yoda robe.  I used the pouch and detail items from his belt and made a new, more slender belt using brown ribbon.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:33:05 PM by Darklord1967 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »
Wow, that was some great information. I thought I was the only one who thought the face sculpts on the POTJ line were really good.

I also would like to note that thanks to your great figure here there have for sure been some alterations and modifications to your design that have given the customizers here some great motivation and information. I would like to see our first Hasbro Q and A question feature this type of figure to see if there is any hope for us non customizers to see something like this. I love the soft goods under the armor.

Offline Darklord1967

• Ensign
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »
Yeah, t think in the case of ol' custom Boba, the soft-goods underneath the armor is DEFINITELY the way to go.  If executed correctly, it truly gives the figure a slick professional look, and really allows for specific details that are otherwise impossible without a soft goods vest.

The downside is that despite my experience with customizing at this scale,  accurately creating that flak vest was certainly as supreme a challenge as I had ever faced. Certainly NOT for the weak of heart.  All the more reason I wholeheartedly congratulate Clonesniper78 for his bravery, and his terrific results. 'Cause the truth is, it ain't easy. ::)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:17:02 PM by Darklord1967 »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2010, 05:48:41 AM »
amazing work on those other figures from the OT.  The OT will allways be my favorite of the movies and it's nice to see perfected versions of the characters, as it always seems like hasbro leaves something out or lets something slide.... 

I can't wait to see more on boba though...

Offline artilarytrooper321

• Commander
  • take that techno-union ship down men
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2010, 09:20:39 AM »
nice

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2010, 07:29:01 AM »
Merry Christmas!

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2010, 08:01:06 AM »
hope the bobas improveing merry christmas

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2011, 10:06:39 PM »
Happy New Year!

Offline SITHHAPPENS

• I LOVE IT WHEN A CUSTOM COMES TOGETHER!
  • Major
    • sanitariumcustoms.blogspot.com
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2011, 12:44:15 AM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
Awesome customs, they look so cool!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2011, 07:26:56 AM »
The downside is that despite my experience with customizing at this scale,  accurately creating that flak vest was certainly as supreme a challenge as I had ever faced. Certainly NOT for the weak of heart.  All the more reason I wholeheartedly congratulate Clonesniper78 for his bravery, and his terrific results. 'Cause the truth is, it ain't easy. ::)

That is why I marvel so much at the customs here. I would have probably thrown that figure up against the wall a hundred times and howled in frustration and given up before ever achieving anything like this. I can only imagine what a stormtrooper or clone trooper would look like with this same treatment. I have too wondered about if we would ever see an AT-AT Driver in a total softgoods flight suit under the armor. Wouldn't that be cool!

Offline Darklord1967

• Ensign
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2011, 06:20:13 AM »
As most of you know,  my camera was down for about a month, preventing me from documenting some of  my work on this figure.

I was therefore unable to document some progress steps that occurred during the camera’s repair time.

Since those updates on the figure will be evident in the photos that I’m about to post anyway, I will list what those updates were.

1)  The rangefinder on Boba’s helmet was shortened by about 2½  scale inches.
2)  The cheek stripes on the helmet were re-painted in the correct flat black.
3)  The T-visor on the helmet was re-painted in a darker shade of red.  (Note: this T-visor re-paint was something  that I was originally NOT planning to do .  But admittedly I did change my mind about the desirability of the “toyetic” bright red after I saw it contrasted against the new flat black cheek stripes.
4  The minor paint rubs on the utility belt have all been touched up.
5  The armored shoulder bell for Boba’s left shoulder has been re-painted in the correct canary yellow.  Knee pads and right armored shoulder bell have been left orange yellow.

Alright… onto to yesterday’s work…

A couple of months back when I performed the operation to change the profile of the figure’s helmet, I did a lot of filling work with plastic shavings to fill the gaps between the two helmet halves.

There was still a seam visible from the operation that I wanted to make disappear.

I began by using a line of Krazy Glue. I laid down a sealant directly on the seam, and waited for the glue to dry and set. 

Once the glue dried and hardened,  I sanded the seam smooth with 500 grit sandpaper, and then I did a fine wet-sanding with 1000 grit sandpaper to make the dome as smooth as possible. 

I will air-brush the dome tomorrow, once and for all, effectively making the seam vanish.

Undoutedly, the most time-consuming operation I performed yesterday was converting the Imperial Scanning Trooper’s arm sleeves into Boba Fett’s correct double sleeve (sans arm mini pocket).

The first thing I did was to use an X-acto blade to carefully shave away the mini-pocket molded to the right arm.  I gave the area a fine sanding to smooth it off, and then I got to work  making the upper arm double sleeve.

I used some sewing thread to layout the edge of the upper sleeves by carefully gluing it down around the circumfrence of both arms.   Then, with my trusty razor (God, what would I do without that thing?) I re-sculpted the lower sleeve into a narrow taper that appears to emerge from underneath the upper sleeve.

The guide thread at the edge of each new upper sleeve is only TEMPORARY.  They will be replaced by micro-thin ribbon to simulate the sleeve cuffs.

Boba’s right arm weapon gauntlet features a clear power tube that tucks underneath his right arm upper sleeve.

I used a big needle to make a hole underneath the upper sleeve ridge that I created.  I then made a second hole in the coupling on the wrist weapon gauntlet. These would be the two connection points for the gauntlet’s power feed tube.

I looked around the house for a suitable item to use as the tube.  A tiny white / clear plastic binder on the bundle of new sox  that I just bought was something that I thought might do the trick.  In the end, I rejected it because it did not look like a tube to me, it seemed a bit small in its scale, and it did not have the flexibility I was hoping for.  It kept popping out of the sleeve connection point  every time I posed the figure’s elbow.

I knew I was going to need a far more flexible material to resolve that issue.

A frantic search ensued in my wife’s closet, and as luck would have it, I located a brand new cashmere sweater that my wife bought for herself.  The tag was still attached to the garment by a small clear rubber string!  Yes!! Back in business.!!!

I cut a fragment of the string and installed it on the figure.  The thicker size, the clarity, and the flexibility of the “tube” were all PERFECT!!

My next order of business was to add the straps for Boba’s armored knee pads.  A reasonably straight-forward operation.  I used some Plastruct strip styrene to create the straps and glued them into place behind the knees, making sure that the leg articulation was un-affected.

So… a brief re-cap…

1) Helmet’s face colors have been corrected to correct  shades
2) Helmet’s rangefinder has been shortened to correct height
3) Utility belt paint rubs have been repaired
4) Armored shoulder bell for left shoulder has been re-painted in correct yellow
5) Helmet seam has been filled and sanded  (awaits air brushing)
6)  Arm pocket has been shaved off / arm sanded smooth
7) Secondary upper sleeves have been layed-out and sculpted for both arms
8) Power tube for right weapon gauntlet has been installed
9) Rear fastening straps for armored knee pads have been installed

Custom Boba as of January 9th, 2011,   7:30 AM:

Coming up next:  WOOKIE SCALPS