Author Topic: AFE's Customs -- Updated 12/28/13--Back In Black!  (Read 125738 times)

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
@Jedi Minstrel: Thanks so much! I had a hard time coming up with names for them all. Sometimes I think of a name first and then a character follows or the other way around. They go through lots of edits while I write their back stories and do the photographs.

@Doc: Wow! Really thank you for the compliments! I didn't have time to write a back story for all of the characters this afternoon but Jex is actually a dwarf who suffered from a birth defect. Although a bit older than his sister, his height belies his age. It was really hard to find a suitable dwarfed head, but I settled on the Yavin Honor Guard. I wanted him to look tough, but very short. And Leia's Hoth vest fit great on the Jawa body. Actually it's not a rebel general body at all! It's an Imperial Officer head on--get this! A Bespin Security guard body! Removed the holsters and added Jaster Mereel's cape, and a force pike as a walking stick that's also a weapon, kinda like a cane-sword. I really liked the way it looked like the outfit of a member of royalty might wear. Plain but formal and decorative enough. Neither Imperial or Rebel, so it works very well as an Old Republic era tunic. I can't wait to see your crew!  Yeah the Tusken bodies are rare. I've discovered that being a member of the 501st legion has certain figure collecting perks in that many members are always cleaning out their collection and so I occasionally buy from them at very fair prices. I really hope to see an updated Raider some time soon!

@DarthDaddy: Thanks so much! I really try hard to create the most "complete" looking characters. A few here and there are simple head swaps, but mostly I really try to give each one a unique outfit and persona. I guess the first reason I can do them quickly is an overactive imagination haha. I let my creativity build up for a while and then I just go and go. I really find making crews of smugglers and pirates to be the most interesting as I really get to play with different bodies and modes of dress, as opposed to say popping heads on Imperial Officer bodies. Then it comes down to what characters fit with the story. Like for Angkar he's an Indian man (if he were from Earth) but speaks with a cockney English accent and he has a bit of a  swashbuckling air to him. I had a vision of a  pirate captain with the two flintlock pistols so I added the twin old republic looking blasters from Montross. Next he needed a side holster and a smuggler vest. I opted for a simple soft-goods greedo vest, and the orange fit right in. Lando's General uniform lent the look of an ex-military man who takes his work very seriously, and the mystery of perhaps he's an Alliance officer and a smuggler. Sometimes it comes down to what head fits on what body both physically and aesthetically. There's kind of a formula to space travel adventurers who crew spaceships--not just in Star Wars. You need a strong captain, a quirky pilot, a small alien or robot with some comic relief, maybe a run-away slave, a mechanic, a mercenary, and a healer, and mix that up any which way and you've got some cool characters that fate has thrown together. One character usually inspires the others until I feel it's a complete team. I knew I wanted a strong pirate captain like Han Solo, but different. He's older, but just as head strong, and he's very meticulous where Han is egotistical and brash. Also combining two characters for instance there always has to be a robot and a love interest/seductress/female lead. So ok, I melded the droid and the female lead into one, but she's not totally a robot, but she has a robot body she's ashamed of. Immediately we identify with her and want her to find the love she's looking for. She also can rip your arms out of your sockets and out-shoot an Imperial Sharpshooter. Anyway I could go on and on about this, but instead i think I'll start a new thread about character creation and back stories. Something that really helps me create and gets me inspired (the ones you all write!) to create!

@JediMerc: I loved Morgukai from the minute I first encountered them in one of the Star Wars comics with Quinlan Vos and Aayla Secura. "Sleemo Jeedai!"

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
I really find making crews of smugglers and pirates to be the most interesting as I really get to play with different bodies and modes of dress, as opposed to say popping heads on Imperial Officer bodies.

Hey, I resemble that remark!!  But to make it more accurate...

I really find making crews of smugglers and pirates to be the most interesting as I really get to play with different bodies and modes of dress, as opposed to say popping heads on Imperial Officer Bespin Luke bodies.

There...

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
Lol! The latest Bespin Luke body is a versatile one, having used it a few times for customs. I have to fight the urge sometimes. It looks too much like Luke. They need to release some generic figures like "average space pilot", "Tatooine peasant farmer family", "Galactic Politician", "Princes A/B/C" lol so we have some non-established characters to work from.

"For the Empire!"

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Wow, what a great Ship's Crew! I just can't pick a favorite. I love the back story. You have enough figures here to create a photo novel! I would love to read some fan fiction on this crew and their exploits. On the front page by the way.

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
Thanks Tamer! Thrilled you like them! I plan on getting started on a fan fic about them right now! You'll be able to read the first adventure as soon as you want! I'll be posting it to the yards first! Thanks so much for the front page treatment!

"For the Empire!"

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
First installment of my newest fan fic is up to read here: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?board=88.0

Hope you like it!

"For the Empire!"

Offline halnarthax87

• Non-Canonical Legend
  • Commander
Wha-oh, super geek out time! Those are supremely cool looking characters. I love the bespin guard body with Yularen's head, Colonel Voltaire I suppose I should say. That's an awesome look. And the rebel girl with her mini (brother? Husband?) friend there look like a cool duo. Awesome all around!   0/
The exploits of my life are less canonical than they are legendary.

-H.

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
Thanks! So much Narthax! Yeah the Yularen on the Bespin Guard is an awesome touch if I say so myself! It's her brother haha. There are so many little people in Star Wars, but we so rarely see their faces (what with them playing Jawas, droids, ewoks, etc.) So I thought, why not? I think works pretty well.

"For the Empire!"

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Mate totally love all these figures, the mixing of parts have given each one a unique look 10/10.

Ron

Offline Kaleb

• Cadet
Those customs are really great!Very original! I would love to create that kind of customs figures. Just got one question, from where do u take the bodies or parts for those? gi joe or just scratch work? I would be glad if u can aswer that question =)

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
Thanks so much Hemble! Wow really high marks from you! I am flattered!

@Kaleb: Thanks! I strive for unique and original characters! the ones in the latest pictures are all Star Wars figures. I rarely use any Joe parts and you'll know it if I do. I do kit bash and head swap customs mostly. No paint, no sculpting, no casting, I pop heads and hands and then work on accessories and weapons. I can give you a parts list if you'd like.

"For the Empire!"

Offline Kaleb

• Cadet
Woow, nice. So, you are really a master of swaping parts, you realy create completly new characters with others parts. You´ve got a great imagination!
 Where I live there are not many SW articulated figures, and the ones I have are the ones from old collections (like 6-10) years ago, so they are almost not articulated. Next time I go to USA i think I will get a cargo with new  SW articulated figures =)

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
Special Weapons!
« Reply #372 on: July 22, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »
As we all know there are tons of fantastic custom figures here on the Yards, and tons of these figures have amazing customized gear! This new thread is a chance to spotlight your custom weapons and their applications in the field.

This is a great place to showcase your unique, improved, kit-bashed, detail work, and more all on your weapons! Canons, blasters, rifles, sabers, all are welcome!

Lets see some photos of your work and give us a description of what it does, who made it, and how it's an improvement or a new innovation.

"For the Empire!"

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Special Weapons!
« Reply #373 on: July 22, 2011, 11:31:13 AM »
...and tutorials...

8)
 ;D

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
Re: Special Weapons!
« Reply #374 on: July 22, 2011, 11:35:23 AM »
To kick off this new thread I thought I'd share a special message I received over the holonet from the awesome folks at Mitrinomon:

Mitrinomon "We Know Combustion"

From the creators of the Z6 and JT-12 Jetpacks in partnership with the minds of Czerka (creators of the ZX wrist mounted Flame Projector) comes the latest in flame projection technology.

Unveiled at the annual Imperial arms contractor convention and available now for mass production and field-use comes the brand new

Mitrinomon JX-7 Immolator canon!  Offering weaponized flame projection technology like never before.

With a portable fuel pack containing a compressed liquid mixture of tibanna gas and an ignition liquid developed on Mustafar the Immolator offers a continuous blast of high pressure weapons grade flame for up to two hours. Our extended portable fuel tank is equipped with blast resistant housing and a small low power shield generator to help protect users from stray blaster bolts otherwise turning them into walking bombs. Only Czerka and Mitrinomon have your safety in mind! Don't use other unsafe flame projection apparatus!

With our patented valve controls you'll be able to control the distance (from 2 feet up to 7 feet) and the width of your blasts (an arc up to 70 degrees wide continual!  
The Immolator burns clean with temperatures reaching up to 2,000 degrees! Hot enough to melt most light metals!

Retailing at certified Czerka arms dealers near you for only 150 Galactic credits!
We're  also excited to announce that we've negotiated a contract with the Galactic Empire to supply Immolators to a new Imperial unit that will be codenamed Immolator Troopers--an upgraded version of the standard Imperial Incinerator Trooper.

See stills from our  Immolator demonstration at the annual Imperial arms convention here:

DSC_1848

DSC_1850

DSC_1853

DSC_1856

DSC_1857

The Immolator can also be fired from a defensive position:

DSC_1858

DSC_1862

DSC_1863

Thanks for choosing Mitrinomon -- For Everything hot, Mitrinomon

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:40:23 AM by ActionFigEmpire »