Author Topic: AFE's Customs -- Updated 12/28/13--Back In Black!  (Read 126982 times)

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
Re: Action Figure Empire's Customs -- Updated 10/26--Smoke--New Squad Member!
« Reply #510 on: November 04, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Hot on the heels of my newest squad member, Smoke, comes my newest Mando custom. While not a member of my Imperial Mando squad, he is a new rival of Boba Fett's and a powerful ally or an indomitable enemy, depending on which side you're on. As I revealed in my spoiler about him, he's stealing bounty hunting jobs from Boba Fett in order to bank roll his own private army (which might be the Cobra to my Imp Mandos' GI-Joe. Not sure yet)... This guy was a pretty intense customizing experience to make and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. The royal guardsman's head was a pain to work with as it's a bit deformed. So a I cut a better jawline, and gave him a new hairdo.

I present:

Zayd Kyro (rhymes with Paid Jyro), born the son of the Mandalorian warrior Ahmahn Kyro, who, before the clone wars retired his armor and became a royal senate guard. When war broke out and the galaxy was thrust into turmoil, Ahmahn was recruited to train a battalion of clone troopers in the arts of Mandalorian combat. Ahmahn was slain during the clone wars and his son, Zayd vowed to take up his mantel and carry on the legacy. Growing up, Zayd's father felt it was important to tutor his  son not only in Mandalorian combat, but also in their history and their culture. It was in his studies that, as a teen, Zayd chanced across a section about an ancient Mando warrior cult (much like the Greek Spartans) known as the Mandalegionnaires. The legionnaires adhered to a strict code of honor both on the battle field and off. Believing that their home world of Mandalore held the keys to their becoming the strongest warriors in the galaxy they built vast fortresses deep beneath the planet's surface. In these tombs they stored their arcane knowledge, weapons, armor, and relics. Although the Sith wiped them out many millenniums ago, their secrets remained sealed in their crypts. After his father was killed Zayd traveled to Mandalore and sought out these secret temples for the power they were rumored to hold. At last finding them he began to set up a base of operations hidden from even his fellow Mandalorians. Combining his father's Royal senate guard armor with that of the armor he found in the tombs, Zayd crafted his signature look and applied the yellow and orange coloring of the Mandalegionnaires to his outfit. He shaved his hair into a mohawk much like the crests on his father's royal guard helm, and fashioned one of them onto his helmet. He tattooed his face in the shape of the most recognizable Mandalorian feature, the T-Visor as this shape was inspired by traditional facial tattooing and he hand tooled his kama to reflect the planet Mandalore, believing that all else was insignificant when compared to the power of his people. On that day, with his armor complete, Zayd became a Mandalegionnaire forever. He then set about raising funds to recruit and outfit the new generation of Legionnaires. As a bounty hunter and mercenary for hire he's a constant thorn in Fett's side, and some are even considering him to be better than Fett. Often carrying out various assassinations, and capturing his prey to return to those paying before even being hired. It is likely that Fett and Zayd will face off more than once. Only the best Mando will live.

Zayd's amror combines Neo Crusader elements with modern Mando styles and Royal Guard crafting. in addtion to his mid range sighted laser carbine he also carries a light projectile spray-rifle, an armor piercing repeating pistol and in a scabbard on his jetpack he has a machete. His cape features a graphic of Mandalore (the planet) and spelled out in Mando'a lettering on the reverse side is the word "Mandalore". (I wanted his cape details to look somewhat hand painted as he would have had to custom make these). He has multiple pockets and pouches for various items, his armored suit can be sealed against the vacuum of space and his jetpack attaches to an on board life support pack with an extended oxygen supply (more than the standard mando suit) for long stints in space, underwater, or in a toxic environment. The royal guard chest plate, shoulders, shins, codpiece, and back plate are all cortosis alloy coated, thanks to his father's ingenuity, and his wanting to survive if a Sith or Jedi ever attacked the senate.

DSC_2544

DSC_2543

DSC_2545

Mandalore planet graphic:

DSC_2546

DSC_2547

DSC_2550

DSC_2551

DSC_2552

DSC_2553

DSC_2554

DSC_2557

Side arms:

DSC_2559

DSC_2560

DSC_2561

"Mandalore" in Mando'a lettering:

DSC_2562

DSC_2563

DSC_2564

DSC_2565

DSC_2566

DSC_2567

DSC_2568

DSC_2569

DSC_2571

DSC_2533
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:36:32 PM by ActionFigEmpire »

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
Re: Action Figure Empire's Customs -- Updated 12/05--Zayd Kyro--New Mando!!!
« Reply #511 on: November 05, 2011, 05:07:21 AM »
This came out GREAT!, Amazing Job!  ;D

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #512 on: November 05, 2011, 05:23:52 AM »
Ooohh...I realy like the color scheme you used...the orange came out great!  Usually these brighter colors don't look too hot to me, but this worked out very nicely.  Nice touches with the yellow/gold trim around the edges.

The kama design really works for the character as a whole too.  There's something about this guy that makes me think that he listens to a lot of Chili Peppers/Jane's Addiction...maybe that's what he uses to subdue his quarry?  He blares "Been Caught Stealin'" and while they cover their ears, he smokes 'em!  Ha!

Nice job all around AFE!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #513 on: November 05, 2011, 06:39:40 AM »
Great looking custom! I agree with JM, I am not a huge fan of bright colors on mandos but this design works really well! I am really enjoying each update from you as you are increasing your skill level with each nw custom. Great parts mix and paint work but the soft goods cape with insignia just put this over the top! Very well done and thought out!

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
  • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
« Reply #514 on: November 05, 2011, 07:26:27 AM »
your customs are so awesome.I always smile when I see them.love the color combo's on this guy,that neon really pops,and love the soft goods.you know I love your work,and you never do any wrong in my eyes.your customs are some of my fav's on here.you've got such a great imagination.always looking forward to your next custom,and can never say enough praise about them.  ;D

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #515 on: November 05, 2011, 08:22:37 AM »
Well I guess I'm too hard on myself haha. I'm always pushing myself to my own (crazy?) level of perfection in executing a custom or any piece of creative work.

@Ghostskull: Thanks man! Really glad you like him!

@JM: Thanks so much! Yeah I had this idea for a very sleek looking bounty hunter to try and replace Boba Fett. I had this image of a guy with corporate sponsors kind of like a race car driver in mind, thus the bright colors and the yellow "stripes" on his shoulders. I have always liked the Hasbro guards bodies and the blue with the orange and yellow made for a really neat combo of aesthetics. While building this guy I remembered Calo Nord  (http://www.giantbomb.com/calo-nord/94-5172/all-images/52-295187/swkotor_20090224_174941/51-899695/) from KOTOR and I remembered really liking him. Also that he wears some orange and blue. glad the Kama works for you! I was really trying not to have it look like an art class kid made it, because painting on cloth always makes lines look fatter and details get fuzzy. Haha yeah I can totally see that being his musical taste, I myself am a big fan of both bands, so perhaps it crept in. Mostly tho his unhelmeted head came to me from an exhibit in The Natural History Museum (NYC) of Dutch invaders meeting Native Americans on what is now Manhattan. The braves had these intense mohawks and I think face paint. Definitely a cool look for a warrior and not too common in Star Wars.

@Spry: Thanks! Your support is priceless! You're right, bright colors are usually reserved for Rebels, flowers, and comic relief characters whose outfits scream "hey shoot at me!". It's pretty exciting to build a custom figure and find the little bench marks (right words?) along the way--what works/what doesn't, what to use next time. Each figure helps the next be better. Wow I'm really glad the kama came out so well! I really had my doubts. Yeah I was toying with this idea for a few days before I began executing it. Definitely good to sleep on a concept for a few nights.

@JMT: Wow. Haha you're gonna make me conceded--Princess Leia scale. (You know she was such a bossy stuck-up brat in ANH) Yes! And I am so glad I have such a diehard fan haha. But you're wrong! I can do wrong. Sadly I ruined two helmets testing out an idea for a new figure. Two rare hard to replace, I don't want to try again to make this guy for a while helmets. But now I know what works and what doesn't for that one. Ah and for my next custom, well I can only say that we have some Imp Mandos, now there need to be some... non-Imp Mandos. If you get my drift ;) Well your praise definitely warms my heart! I just have to keep pushing myself to work at this caliber to earn it :)

"For the Empire!"

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
« Reply #516 on: November 05, 2011, 09:19:19 AM »
hey,believe me,i've gone through my fair share of mistakes too before i get it right,and i'll have a good example of that up here soon,but our hobby is funny that way because there is no right or wrong way to do it,and as long as the end result comes out okay,then were happy as a pig in mud lol.keep doing what you're doing,and just learn from those mistakes,and sometimes it even works out for the better.  ;D

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #517 on: November 05, 2011, 09:33:16 AM »
Love this guy!!  Gotta love a ... shall we say "non-traditional" Mando!  Mind sharing how you made his head?  I know how *I* would start such a project, but I usually learn my initial idea was wrong about a third of the way in...  :-X

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #518 on: November 05, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »
@JMT: yep! We're just like scientists, try and try again and then you'll succeed. Or, if you're Yoda, "Do or do not. There is no try" Easy for him to say haha. Well my next bunch of Mandos will require some careful planning, but they will be a bit more straight forward than this wild looking guy.

@Doc: Glad you love him! Welcome back by the way! (feel free to check out my other customs if you haven't yet. Made the jump from kitbashing to fully painted chopped and glued customs about 7 updates back). As for the head it's not as hard as it looks. Simply pop out your TVC Royal senate guard head from his helmet, cut the high peaked jawline on either side to make him look less gumpy, then cut his crests off his helmet (the roman sentry broom type deal) and cut it down into a mohawk. Then I painted his tattoos, and glued on real metal loops for earings. Also added the end of one of Boba Fett's wookie braids for the little pony tail deal at the base of the mohawk, because otherwise it just looks like it ends very abruptly. This adds a bit of a Native American brave look--like feathers. Then paint the mohawk whatever hair color you'd like and voila! As for the helmet it's a first appearance animated debut Boba Fett. Just added a mohawk with the same wookie braid parts and painted it. I also added a bit of a removable mando helmet to the inside to make sure it fit on the Senate Guard's neck, otherwise it's too small.

Zayd Kyro recipe:

1 Royal Senate Guard (helmet, body, cape)
1 Animated Debut Boba Fett (or other solid helmeted Fett) for helmet, holster, blaster, jet pack, and pouches
1 TCW backpack (for the back of his armor, and his hip holster, not sure what it was from however)
various blasters
more pockets from that fantastic vinyl pocketed belt (toy line and era unknown. Probably 90s)
1 Boba Fett EE-3 carbine
1 T-21 Rifle
1 GUndam Wing Rifle (for the fat stock on the end and barrel tip)
1 stormtrooper E-11 blaster holster (for knife)
1 GI-Joe knife

hope this helps you create an awesome mando!

"For the Empire!"

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #519 on: November 05, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »
Great looking mando man! :o :o

Offline RavenEye

• Colonel
« Reply #520 on: November 05, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »
This is Mandolore!!! Hehe, Star Wars 300... Great Figure love the mohawk concept, very menacing and wicked Mando!

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
« Reply #521 on: November 05, 2011, 06:52:36 PM »
you know I love that guy,and like i've said your work is so fun,but if I had one small suggestion and it's only how I see him,but I might find a way to lose the range finder on his helmet,it may help to make him look a little more ancient without it,and I only mention it cause I care and you know that by now,either way he's awesome,and just throwing in my 2 cents which I hope is okay.it's all positive feedback no matter what.let me know what you think.

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #522 on: November 06, 2011, 12:45:21 PM »
@CaptainLux: Thanks so much!

@OP: hahaha exactly! Just think of it as a study in "how to make orange and yellow into bad @ss colors". Glad you like the 'hawk!

@JMT: Hmmm good idea! I had been removing it to paint it... but honestly I always feel the helmets look a bit too symmetrical without them. Blame Mando Mercs for that I guess. It was intended to have been his father's helmet, but modified. I will post some pics at some point with and without it. I will definitely think it over. In the mean time, get ready for a heavy weapons mando!

"For the Empire!"

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #523 on: November 06, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »
Wow, I wasn't expecting that to be his hair. Excellent work.

Offline Thunder

• Cadet
« Reply #524 on: November 06, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
No offence, but did he break his left arm somehow?
I love the idea of the mandalegionaires.