Author Topic: AFE's Customs -- Updated 12/28/13--Back In Black!  (Read 130807 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: AFE's Customs -- Updated 12/11/11--Massive Update! 7 New Figures! (2 Posts)
« Reply #585 on: December 11, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
Wow, you have been busy with these jewels, buddy. Loved the tempest troopers and sith lord and really dig that chic trooper. Love the detail work on the sith lord.

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
« Reply #586 on: December 11, 2011, 08:16:36 AM »
Wow! Some brilliant work there brother! :)

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #587 on: December 11, 2011, 08:34:32 AM »
AWESOME work!  ;D

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #588 on: December 11, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »
@Tamer: You sir are much too kind! Thank you so much for the front page! It's always an honor :)

@JediMerc: Glad you appreciate that aesthetic choice. I wanted to make him look as if he long ago wanted to look as humanoid as possible by wearing clothing, but over the years and the missions the clothes have torn away or burned off. Definitely a Terminator look going on with him for sure. I don't know about genius haha but I'll take it :) I actually had another Cynox figure planned, that I will still turn into something, but the paint just wasn't cooperating, so I scrapped him and created Mobius in 2 days. I added the last bit of paint right before I shot them all. I'm so glad my thread, and the other threads you check can provide some necessary distraction! I know how it feels not to be able to create and have to focus on studies for the majority of your time. One reason to major in art brother :) I've got a bunch of ideas still swirling around and I plan on starting a smuggler today and maybe even my cowboy mando lol

@JMT: Thank you so much brother! Glad I could meet your expectations haha. You're too kind! It was fun to do another Sith Lord and some more straight forward troopers, but man that metallic paint needed about 3 coats and 3 touch ups. Worth it tho! The Cynox is a very workable concept that I can keep adding to, so plan to see more Cynox eventually. NeXxus was the second figure I started on after Decimus and he really suffered along the way. I had to rework him and re-engineer a ton of his parts. He also started out as a very miss-matched color scheme of metallic red, gold, metallic green, which just didn't give me the creepy/ominous look I wanted. So I scrapped all but the gold and mixed a metallic black for the rest. I did keep the cloth pieces brown which I like as a sort of earthy dirty tone. THanks so much for the five stars! Sheesh!

@Clonehead: Haha yeah I usually tend to think an idea through for a few days letting it percolate and evolve into a finished piece. You know, gotta sleep on it and let it feel right if its going to be a piece of work. In this case as I executed one thing another popped up. I had Decimus totally glued waiting for paint, then NeXxus was being built. I had a ninja assassin mando planned that I scrapped and ended up using his body as the basis for my Sith Lord, and then I think I was at work when I thought of the Tempest Troopers. Chicks are always the most fun to work on for me. I think because women work so hard to look perfect, really no matter the woman, if she's going out she's gotta look perfect in her mind. So that adds a bit of attention to detail. Like getting her new hair color right to the hair line without bleeding over, or making sure her eyebrows match, etc. They also lend a unique aesthetic to the battlefield, even all armored up like this one. As for the Sith Lord... well I struggled with that concept for a while. Along the lines of ninja assassin I decided to do a somewhat asian motif and I wanted some tattoos that weren't just the played out black swirly lines on red. originally he was going to be all white, but the rest of his scheme was red and black so I opted for the two-face look and then added the black dot as a sort of center piece or a yin-yang without the white.

@Botwt: Thanks so much! Glad you like them!

@Ghostskull: Thanks man! :D 

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
« Reply #589 on: December 11, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
What's more awesomer than Stormies?  Shiny silver Stormies!  Good work on the three-man (or two-man-one-woman) squad!

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #590 on: December 11, 2011, 07:32:40 PM »
Lol. Just don't send them to Tattooine, cause then they turn into glare troopers. Glad you like them :)

"For the Empire!"

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #591 on: December 12, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »
Speechless...

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #592 on: December 12, 2011, 05:22:16 PM »
Nice work man! You busted out a bunch of figures with this update I'm impressed....love the girl trooper. Is her armor removable? ;)

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #593 on: December 12, 2011, 08:06:27 PM »
@Mungo: I hope you're speechless in a good way haha.

@Yak: Thanks man! I wish it did! It's up to you to create a femtrooper with removable armor :)

"For the Empire!"

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #594 on: December 12, 2011, 08:48:26 PM »
Absolutely.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #595 on: December 16, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »
awesome stuff man.

I love the tempest troopers, they are awesome looking.  I love that metalic color you used, did you mix that yourself or is that a stock paint color?

but dang... I'm ticked!  I've been meaning to do a droid mando for AGES! I've just been putting it off until I find better parts... and there you go and make 3!?  awesome stuff.  Not the direction I would've taken at all but they look amazing none the less.  The best one by far though is nexuss.  That thing is sweet!

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #596 on: December 16, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »
@Spuda: Thanks man! Glad you love the Tempest Troopers! I was inspired partly by these engineering guys who created carbon fiber stormtrooper armor to wear. I wanted something unique for such a familiar recognizable image. It had to not be a shadow trooper and you had to be able to tell it was different. The metallic color is Citadel by Games Work Shop Boltgun Metal. By far my all time favorite model paint color. It is incredibly versatile, usually only needs one coat, and looks amazingly smooth on pretty much any surface including untreated wood! I highly recommend getting more than one container. It makes machines come to life and creates a great iron/steel look. Also handy is their mythril silver which I used on the TTs trim, and kamas. about $3 a container each. NeXxus is everyone's favorite! Don't be ticked, I would love to see what you come up with for a droid mando. I'm sure it'd be awesome! I might auction NeXxus off because so many people like him. I'll be sure to let you know if and when I do.

I also owe you a big thanks for your boil-and-pop video tutorial! I have tried it on 3 figures that I needed parts from for a custom and it works amazingly well! I can't wait to keep using this method! It definitely opens a ton of doors for me!

Currently I'm working on my smuggler duo, a Sandalorian for Jedi Mind Trix, a Babe-a Fett for Ghostskull and a cowboy Mando. I'm about to receive over 10 complete mandos in the mail including 2 fem mandos! So tune in for another onslaught of custom goodness :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:49:31 PM by ActionFigEmpire »

"For the Empire!"

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #597 on: December 16, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »
Sounds awesome man!  I love that my boil and pop video helped ya out!  Its a great technique. 

Ive got several project in the works but i love your droid mandos so much i think i might work on putting mine together finally!

Offline clone10

• Brigadier
« Reply #598 on: December 16, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »
Awesome customs man

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
  • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
« Reply #599 on: December 16, 2011, 10:13:07 PM »
no prob,love lookin at your work,and you know i'm excited for what you have in store for us next  ;)i'm workin on my customs too,and with the next two days off of work,I should get some good time in at the work desk.