Author Topic: Custom ISY Figure Cardbacks  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
Custom ISY Figure Cardbacks
« on: August 02, 2011, 03:58:54 PM »
Hello Everyone,

After seeing so many excellent custom figures on this site, I decided to make custom Imperial Shipyards cardbacks that anyone can use to display their custom figures. I made the cardbacks in the "classic" Kenner/Hasbro style and colors and made the portrait section of the card transparent so that you could place an image in the space easily. If anybody wants a set of these in hi-res, just shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I will be more than happy to send them out to you.

The only thing that I ask in return, is that if you use the cardbacks to display your figures, is that you attach an image of it to this thread so I can see your exceptional creativity.

Have fun and get customizing!!!!

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Re: Custom ISY Figure Cardbacks
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »
They are absolutely wonderful!!!!

You come up with some insane ideas! Wouldn't they be awesome with some of the member's customs encased!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »
Heck yes they would!  The trick is getting them printed out on cardstock in a good quality and finding an adhesive that doesn't bubble or smear.  Hope to see some done up though!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:40:46 PM »
Oh my this is just awesome! This idea has so much potential! Great offering to all customizers VA!

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:56:28 AM »
Awesome!  I'd love to display some of my customs in these!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 05:59:07 AM »
These look just awesome! What a great idea Cal. Thanks for making these.

And Pat I do agree about the printing of these. I wonder if we could get Nate to give us some pointers as his trading cards sure are of a nice qaulity card stock and the printing has just come out brilliant on the ISY Trading Cards I have gotten in.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »
Oh yes, these cardbacks are great. How bout my kitbash entry this past January?

Offline wookielover1138

• The Kessel Run Review
  • Colonel
  • The First Lady of SW Collecting
    • Kessel Run Review
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 01:13:53 PM »
Thanks so much VA!!! These are so cool and I'm sure will be of much use to us customizers :D

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »
Oh yes, these cardbacks are great. How bout my kitbash entry this past January?

EXCELLENT JOB Tamer, it looks like it came straight off the Hasbro assembly line!

Thanks so much VA!!! These are so cool and I'm sure will be of much use to us customizers :D

Thanks wookielover1138, if you or anyone else wants the hi-res kit of all the cards just shoot me a PM with your info.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 01:41:28 PM »
Cal, its simple resizing one of my custom pics and just dragging it into the background which I was able to do with the layer tool on photoshop. I am realistically thinking any paint type program that will let you resize, move, and deal in layers would make this as simple a job as I had of it. From there just pic your font of choice (check out Erik Stormtrooper for some good ones or ask Cal) and put up what you call your custom and you are ready to print.

Cal, have you tried printing one of these off yet on any type of cardstock? I know Nate has excellent experience doing this so I am gonna bug him, I mean pm him, for some pointers.  His trading cards are beautifully printed and his style would lend itself to these cards so easily I would think.

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »
Cal, its simple resizing one of my custom pics and just dragging it into the background which I was able to do with the layer tool on photoshop. I am realistically thinking any paint type program that will let you resize, move, and deal in layers would make this as simple a job as I had of it. From there just pic your font of choice (check out Erik Stormtrooper for some good ones or ask Cal) and put up what you call your custom and you are ready to print.

Cal, have you tried printing one of these off yet on any type of cardstock? I know Nate has excellent experience doing this so I am gonna bug him, I mean pm him, for some pointers.  His trading cards are beautifully printed and his style would lend itself to these cards so easily I would think.

I have not tried to print them off yet, but I am really aching to. At the base I have access to a high quality laser printer and various different types of paper and card stock. Once things calm down here a little bit, I'll give it a shot and let you know the results.

As for a good photo-manipulation program for these cards or any other projects, I would recommend GIMP, it works just like Photoshop (and in some ways better) and best of all it's a free download. just type in GIMP for Windows or GIMP for Mac in Google and it's all yours!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »
Well I bet I give that program a look tomorrow. Thanks for the advice Cal. Yeah, I can't wait to see one of these bad boys printed out.

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
I think that you will be pleased with GIMP, I for one LOVE IT! Tomorrow I plan on making a backside for the figure cards, my plan is to include a space at the top for the customizer to insert photos of other figures that they have done, and on the bottom, I was thinking about taking something from the GI Joe playbook and including a "file card" where the customizer could include a picture and information on the figure represented on the front.

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »
Well, here it is, the rear to the cardback. The yellow section is where you can place the other customs that you created and the bottom is for the file card where you can place a picture of the figure in the portrait box that is transparent and a description of the figure a'la GI Joe.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 06:58:33 PM »
Thats a heck of an idea for a card backer too.

Wow, sounds like its time to look into Fiala's Tutorial about how to do the bubbles again. I think I remember there used to be a place where you could order stuff like that. I need to see if I can find it again.

Wow, as I was posting this you created the card backer. Looks great!