Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 161339 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures (update: new mandos)
« Reply #615 on: November 14, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
thanks guys.  it may be a while before I get the painting started...  I've got to crack down on these homework assignments I've got to do....,

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #616 on: November 15, 2009, 07:55:57 AM »
thanks guys.  it may be a while before I get the painting started...  I've got to crack down on these homework assignments I've got to do....,
slack ass!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #617 on: November 15, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »
that's what my professors are going to be saying if I don't finish this stuff!  but right now... I'm going to take a nap...  ;D

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #618 on: November 16, 2009, 09:02:04 PM »
heres jango finished up and painted:

The arms are still the original purple, the legs and gloves I painted.  My question to yall is should I go on and paint the arms? or is it close enough of a match?

the upper thigh armor looks a little rough I'm noticing in the photo...  when I put the leg straps of the holsters down on the thighs it rubbed some of the paint off and made little blobs of raised paint globs....  I tried painting over it to mask it but it's still a little messy.

my question about the armor is should I try and weather it or leave it as is?  I could try to drybrush a little flat black on there and dirty it up a bit....  idk though, what do yall think?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #619 on: November 16, 2009, 09:10:44 PM »
I think that the purple on the arms is close enough. I would like to see either some drybrushing or a wash on those plates,though. A light weathering will give him that "just seen some action" look.
It's looking good, Spud.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #620 on: November 16, 2009, 11:08:34 PM »
I really dig that figure, Spud.
Just the right balance between the original Jango figure and a full custom job.
Great job, buddy!
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #621 on: November 17, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
thanks guys, I'm pretty proud of this one.

I've added some black dry brushing marks to his armor and scuffed him up a bit.  I also cast up a larger EE mando helmet for him and repainted it to match the original.  the original evo jango helmet is so extremely small it made him look disproportionate with it on, so with the bigger helmet it looks alot better.  If I have time when I get home tonight i'll snap a shot of both helmets to show what I'm talking about.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #622 on: November 24, 2009, 12:02:32 AM »
well guys my thread was getting dangerously close to getting knocked to the second page again.....  so I figured I'd better whip up some customs!  lol actually I just had the afternoon free and I've been meaning to get this project started and after I bought a figure today it prompted me to want to use it on this project and got me started!

I know that the BATs arn't necessarilly star wars.... but I'll fit them into the verse somehow! 

basically we all know and love the Cobra Battle android trooper.  And throughout GI-joe history there have been several renditions of the concept.  However, only the one basic BAT figure has been updated tothe 25th/roc line of figure articulation.  I set out a while ago to collect some more interesting BAT arm attachments and weopons, and I decided to take this one step further by making several custom BAT offshoots and designs...

so heres what I've come up with so far:

air-BAT
Aerial Infiltration and Reconnaissance Battle Android Trooper

The AIR-BAT is a basic BAT unit that has been programmed to utilize various jetpacks, hoverpacks, heli-packs, and glider systems to collect recon info as well as attack enemies silently from above:

heli-pack AIR-BAT:

the helicopter pack is from the 25th aniversary Matt-tracker figure's pack in.  I realy want to repaint it from that awefull green but don't know what I should go with... 

jet-glider AIR-BAT:

The jet glider is equiped with two air-ground guided missiles as well as a carrying capacity for up to 4 extra BAT arm attachments to give the BAT more options once it lands in enemy territory.

AI-BAT
Advanced Infantry Battle Android Trooper
The AI-BAT is designed to be better suited for rough, harsh terrain.  It was found that the original BAT design was not sturdy enough and could easily be toppled during battle.  This lead to a more advanced leg design with stronger gears and hydrolics.  The android also has a superior gyrostabalizer which enables it to better withstand hard hits and uneven terrain.

NEO-BAT
Nano Enhanced Offensive Battle Android Trooper

Ultimately Cobra scientists wanted to push the envelope of the BAT program.  the NEO-BAT was a culmination of everything previously tried.  Stronger, faster and smarter the NEO BAT was the ultimate android killing machine.  Not only did it look the part with it's Bone White skull like head but it also had the most advanced adaptive learning software available.  The NEO-BAT could be sent into battle with no weopon of it's own and within seconds obtain information on it's suroundings and the enemy.  Once it's programming had all the info it needed it began selecting targets based upon ultimate efficientness as well as possible weopons to aquire.  After a battle NEO-BATS had been found to have obtained and used multitudes of enemy weoponry, some of which were never programmed into the androids memory!  Cobra scientists took this as a testiment to the android's superior adaptive programming....

the neo-bat uses the BAD head packed in with the new boba fett single carded figure...  the body is that of accelorator suit ripcord with the legs of a 25th BAT figure.  The legs of ripcoard can be seen on the AI-bat (I just swapped the two out....)

well... what do you guys think?  any suggestions on how to make these guys better?  I have an aqua-bat and a fire bat in the works too.....

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #623 on: November 24, 2009, 06:43:06 AM »
That head works for an android killer, I dig it.

You should cast it, many many times.

I was not sold on the first two, but that last one is just sweet.  a unified paint scheme and its pure win.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #624 on: November 24, 2009, 06:52:02 AM »
you dont like his bright yellow booties?  what don't you like about the others simon?

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #625 on: November 24, 2009, 07:33:13 AM »
I'm glad you asked, as my friends in RL call me the "better idea guy"  LOL, which as you can imagine means I have no original ideas, but I do make theirs better.

The first two bats lack integration.  You were very correct in making the bat/cylon connection earlier.  The helicopter guy, for instance,  just my opinion, but get rid of the control stick, and build it more into his torso, then maybe switch him to more appropriate weapons.  I'd go apache on him and give him either twin chain gun attachments or missile pods, :)

The second guy, the backpack is either too large or he is too small.  Are you familiar with the CLAW?  its a little rocket jetpack, anyway, doesn't matter, but supposedly it was also a drone(much like this one), so I'd go that route.

But the third one, I dig it.

Hell, I'm thinking that head on ripcord bodies would be a new assault class, like you outlined, :)

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #626 on: November 24, 2009, 07:49:17 AM »
you dont like his bright yellow booties? 
yellow is bad!

it's a bad bad BAD color in general and the stupidest thing about the original BATs so I agree about changing the color.  ANY other color would be an improvement.

I agree with Simon about ditching the control stick on the copter pack.  That feature is way too human.  If its supposed to be a heli assault BAT make that accesory its primary function and bond it right to the android's back, integrate it fully as extension of the body itself.  It can remote control fly the copter built into its body via a computer inside its head so its hands are both free to be replaced by guns.   And I say give it new feet altogether, something bulky/space-y, and say its wearing magnetic boots to ensure a safe landing everytime. 

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #627 on: November 24, 2009, 08:38:37 AM »
those are all good ideas... I agree about losing the control stick, that pic was realy just a mock up to show the concept... its not finished by any means.

I think I'm going to replace the yellow with dark red on the NEO-BAT.  Much like the resolute BAT figure from the 5-pack... he looks so much better than the yellow atrocities.

I know about the claw simon... I just don't have one :(...  but I honestly like this pack better, I know it's huge but it makes more sense for long range attacks if it is larger.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #628 on: November 24, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
I uploaded this one the other night and forgot to post it with the other BATs

The IFRB follows a legion of BATs onto the battlefield to fix battle androids which have fallen in battle.  Alot of times it will canablilize bots which are damaged beyond repair to fix androids which are more likely to continue the fight.

IFRB- in field repair bot

it's just a jawa treadwell droid with a few bits and pieces added on from a bunch of old junk from the fodder bin. 

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #629 on: November 25, 2009, 06:55:05 AM »
Nice job on all the BAT options. I love the accelerator suit legs on him. That is the best of the group for me.