Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 163381 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa snow trooper and at-at driver)
« Reply #900 on: January 22, 2010, 12:20:02 PM »
I think your right flaccideagle.  hasbro won't take the time to give us what we want right away because they now that
1: kids (their main market) won't realy care one way or another.  Their parents will buy if for them and they will play with it... the more articulation in a figure though and the more likely they are to break it (but this is kind of an oxymoron... if adult collectors want it and will pay for it... and kids will play with it and break it... either way there will be duplicate figures purchased by both audiences, collectors will buy for collections kids parents will replace broken figures!)

2: collectors, mainly completists, will buy anything with the star wars name on it...  No matter what it looks like.  It could be a polished turd, or an empty case labeled "the force" and completists and collectors will pay for it.

3: I'm sure if hasbro looked at what I'm doing they would say "oh look, he bought TWO of our products just to make one figure... we will keep doing things our way and if fan's want what he did they can pay double the price too!"

Offline Helix88

• Lieutenant
« Reply #901 on: January 22, 2010, 02:35:05 PM »
Damn you hasbro!

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
  • Time to pay up, Hutt. I don't work for free.
« Reply #902 on: January 22, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
I have to agree with you guys. If I was Hasbro I would say ok if the GFC is stopping people from buying our product then we have to do two things. First we have to make the absolute best figures ever so that people will want to buy them, not rerelease old stuff that doesn't cut it. Has anyone else been disappointed to find out that the Bespin Han Solo in the Saga legends line is a POTF repack? The second thing I would do is make sure I was actually getting figures out there. Hasbro has cancelled the Legacy line in Australia because it wasn't selling, of course no new legacy line figures have made it onto shelves here since december 2008. Not selling? I wonder why that could be? Overall though I think it is importent to remember that one thing Hasbro does well is quality. I have recently been collecting the Playmates Star Trek line and the Mattel Avatar line and neither of them is a patch on Hasbro for quality. That said I do disagree with Hasbro on one thing. Super articulation is the be all and end all of a figure. LOL

Offline jediwolf69

• The Lost 513th
  • Captain
  • the force well be with you always!
« Reply #903 on: January 24, 2010, 01:28:12 AM »
I remember playing with my Polit Luke Skywalker till he was all losse in the joins, and the paint was faded. Then in the early 80's it was all about he-man, transformers,thundercats, and then the coolest thing hapbeen gi-joe, at the time it was the best in Articulation, elbows and knees that bend IMFG!!! I can't recall the many Joe's that lose their lives went the band that held then together broke. But as time pasted and my hopes of a new star wars line faded to the good old days when my toys were new,then 1994 rolled round and bam! new toys, sweet!! But that was short lived as Hasbro fell back on the old ways, with new sculpts an all but the same damn thing with Articulation. But yeah i got them ;D But now they sit in boxes just wishing they could be as cool a the new line. But yes I agree We well never see the figures we want to buy, that's way we have the yards and great customers like yourselves. I done now I need A smoke and a beer.

try not, do or do not, there is no try.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #904 on: January 24, 2010, 02:21:21 PM »
So, really, Devin, by SA'ing figures, you are saving having to buy them, again, :)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #905 on: January 24, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »
exactly simon.  I figure I can make the figure exactly how I want it to be and I will never have to wait around to get that "best figure" of a certain character when hasbro finally gets around to it.  So instead of buying every figure that comes out that might be a little bit better I just make it the way I think it should be done...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #906 on: January 24, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »
Well Devin, so far I haven't found my general hawk or the figure I need for the snowtroop, unless anyone wants to swap those two figs out for two paris pursuit snake eyes? I plan on going on another hunt to my better walmart this week. I will have me a SA atat driver and snowtrooper. These are just toooooooooooo good.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #907 on: January 24, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »
My SA kayssyk scout is not right...he's wobbly and looks weak...and his belt doesn't fit.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #908 on: January 24, 2010, 09:17:03 PM »
My SA kayssyk scout is not right...he's wobbly and looks weak...and his belt doesn't fit.

... simon...  what are we goign to do with you.

I'd have to see the figure to tell you how to fix it.  when I find out my schedule for work for next week I'll let you know and I'll see if I can't figure out a day to go up to paducah, I need to get a few things anyway and I can swing by your place and give you a hand. 

Is it wobbly at the new chest joint? or on the legs?  How did you make the legs? did you use the feet and lower legs of the original figure and splice those onto the joe knees? 

if the wobblieness is at the new torso/chest joint then you might try cracking the chest back open and putting one of the little black plastic spacers back on the joe peg... I hope you know what I'm talking about.  In some of the joes the peg they put on the bottom torso part that fits into the chest has a little plastic "spacer" that makes the joint tigheter...  if you didn't leave that on there when you put it on the new figure then it'll be a little loose... 

if the wobblieness isin the legs... you might be better to try and make the figure with 100% joe parts int the legs instead of trying to reuse the original scout troopers boots... OR do the feet like I did that last super arty at-at driver and cut both figure's boots off and splice in the scout trooper's boots onto a set of joe legs with a peg and super glue...   

:( this is so hard to explain...  I guess I should make some new videos to explain these processes.... or try and get with you and show you in hand what I'm talking about.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #909 on: January 24, 2010, 11:22:32 PM »
I saw your leg procedure, I didn't try that, yet.

I will try and find a spacer, I was going to use green stuff, lol.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #910 on: January 24, 2010, 11:24:14 PM »
I saw your leg procedure, I didn't try that, yet.

I will try and find a spacer, I was going to use green stuff, lol.

green stuff would fix it.  I was going to suggest trying hot glue if you didn't have that.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #911 on: January 25, 2010, 11:08:10 PM »
a few shots of how the super articulated at-at driver fits into the new at-st sculpt:\

and a preview of my latest project:

more photos and info to come soon.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #912 on: January 26, 2010, 05:38:14 AM »
Looks good to me Devin. It fits pretty good too!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #913 on: January 26, 2010, 06:51:48 AM »
I see you have your arty tie pilot going, Devin. Looks good buddy. I think that I like the camo legs on that driver better. Are those the Hawk legs?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #914 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »
I see you have your arty tie pilot going, Devin. Looks good buddy. I think that I like the camo legs on that driver better. Are those the Hawk legs?

the hawk legs look exactly the same, but these are are actually from a "sargent stone". 

here are some more pictures of the super arty tie pilot.

The figure is exactly the same (or at least very similar) recupe of parts as the super arty at-at driver.  I decided I'd try and make his harnes out of strech craft cordthis time as the plastic one hasbro makes realy limits movement in the figure.  I only have white craft string so I "painted" it with a black sharpie.  You also might not be able to notice it but the figure's clothing is painted flat black and the armor is glossy... 
the helmet is the at-at helmet retooled to take the air hoses in the front and the air tubes on the back were cut off. 
he fits ok in the tie fighter, his head stickes up a few centimeters but when you close the hatch over him it's fine.