Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 163377 times)

Offline Ultimate Durge

• Mandalorian
  • Cadet
    • My Customs
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: at-at driver and tie pilot)
« Reply #930 on: January 28, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »
Spud you have been turning out some amazing work here lately. So did you give up sleeping or what? All of these SA figures you have matched up are awesome! You are a master articulator! Seriously
lol i second that you know what would be great articulation on hands

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #931 on: January 28, 2010, 12:56:30 AM »
Spud you have been turning out some amazing work here lately. So did you give up sleeping or what? All of these SA figures you have matched up are awesome! You are a master articulator! Seriously
lol i second that you know what would be great articulation on hands

articulated hands/wrists are one more point of articulation that I could add to alot of my figures if I wanted to.  And it would be good I agree.  However the only figures available with that type of articulation are the clone wars animated clones.  Unfourtunately their hands don't match every figure as they are meant to be clone hands.  AND with some figures, especially legacy style figures, the animated clone hands look undersized. 
and besides, I'm not going to waste my money on a clone wars figure that all I am going to do is remove his hands... to me it isn't a necessary point of articulation.  As long as the figure has AT LEAST swivel wrists then I'm ok with it.

Offline Ultimate Durge

• Mandalorian
  • Cadet
    • My Customs
« Reply #932 on: January 28, 2010, 01:00:37 AM »
good point taken sir

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #933 on: January 28, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »
ok, Im done with the Snowtroopers and at-at drivers for a while until I get tamer's figures in to work on...

I've got something else to show you guys now.  I think this might be my first super articulated jedi figure I've attempted...  
I got the qui-gon and eopi figure in the mail back before christmas (and I still don't know who sent it to me!) and I realized today that he has the ball jointed torso... I hadn't even gotten the eopi out of the package yet before I'd already taken qui-gon appart... it was only after I started customizing the figure that I'd realized I hadn't even put him on the eopi to see how well the stock figure rode it!   ::)

anyway.  I split open qui-gon's chest and removed his lower half.  I slipped off his belt/tunic and soft goods and set them to the side.  I found a good donor torso and legs and swapped them out.  I used the same technique I used on the at-at driver's boots on qui-gon and was able to transplant the original figure's boots to the joe legs.  The resulting figure doesn't look much different than it did out of the box since the soft goods cover up the joe parts, but I think you can see the posablility of the figure goes up significantly with ball jointed hips.  

this isn't my best figure....  I don't particularly like how the belt/tunic is so far seperated from his chest that the sash doesn't look connected anymore.  I also don't realy like the proportions of this figur after it was customized, his head looks even smaller now...?  In all honesty this is one project that probably could have been left alone and the figure been fine.  I honestly was just bored and needed something different and interesting to work on to pass the time.  I had this fig laying around and had plenty of extra joe parts so I gave it a shot.  

I would realy appreciate it if someone with this figure would take some shots of qui-go in the same poses, or as close to the same poses as you can get it, as the poses that I've got my super arty figure in so that I could see how it compares to the stock figure.  I should have thought ahead and done this with mone before chopping him up..... ::)

Offline Ultimate Durge

• Mandalorian
  • Cadet
    • My Customs
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: SA qui-gon)
« Reply #934 on: January 28, 2010, 01:15:59 AM »
thats crazy just awesome i like that pose you made him do just before he gets killed by darth maul
you were so anxious to chop him up that you dont have pics to compare it to lol now thats dedication

Offline clonemedic96

• Captain
  • "Hey Sev, This one looks like your mother."-Scorch
« Reply #935 on: January 28, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »
nice job on the newly articulated quigon

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #936 on: January 28, 2010, 05:14:26 PM »
Wow, it didn't take you long to knock out Clint's snowtrooper. It looks great. I for one hate the brown on what I think should just be white armor with at most a few blaster scorches. I never saw any mud or dirt on Hoth! Feel free to get rid of the brown on any snowtrooper figure for me Devin. The brown aside it looks great.

That atat driver captian is interesting, but I think I like the one without the pauldron a bit better. It reminds me of a sandtrooper with that pauldron and I think just having the extra belt with holster and pistol is enough.

That Qui Gon sure does pose a good bit better now that you helped it out.

I hope my figs get to you before too long so I can see what you do with them too.

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #937 on: January 28, 2010, 06:04:22 PM »
Wow those poses look really good

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #938 on: January 28, 2010, 08:12:36 PM »
Devin, thanks for the in-progress shots of my new snowtrooper. he looks great! Can you believe that this will be the first custom figure that I ever strived to get from someone else? He will take a proud seat amongst my own custom figure collection and I will be sure to post a pic or two of him repelling from the new Big ATAT when I get one. I don't think that the commander looks bad with the pauldron and think that your lines look fine on it. Those group shots are impressive and Tamer shouldn't worry as the snowtrooper i sent to you for him doesn't have the brown mudd ridden Hoth weathering on him.
  I enjoyed your shots of the qui gon, also, and put that one on the front page.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #939 on: January 28, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
I'm SO digging that pauldron addition to the AT-AT Driver/Captain!  Such a small addition, yet adds HUGE new looks to the figure!  Well done!

Also, it's about time Qui-Gon got the SA treatment!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #940 on: January 28, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
thanks everyone for your comments. 

I agree that I don't care too much for the mud splotches/scortch marks on the older snowtrooper.  BUT... I kinda figured that if clint didn't want those on there he could repaint it with his superior painting skills! :P  I just tried to make the figure match the best I could.  I'd almost like to see clint give this one a good snow-camo job like he did tamer's at-at crew...

As for the at-at captain I figured the pauldron wasn't anything permenant so if I didn't like the addition I could get rid of it!  I also painted up the raised portions of armor on his shoulder pads red like I did with my tie pilot figure to give him even more distinction when the pauldron wasn't there.   
As for the pauldron being associated with the sandtroopers, there was a time when I would have agreed... but since all the clone wars figures have been out I have associated the shoulder pauldrons and any other large shoulder accessory with commanders, captains, or specialized troops...  so I figured it'd only be fitting to have the at-at captain have a shoulder pauldron to show rank.

Tamer, if you'd like I can include a pauldron and belt with your figure so that he can either be a normal driver or you can throw on the extras and make him the captain.  Either way it's no skin off my bones to include the extra pieces loose. 

Offline lambonspit

• Custom Vehicle Mistro!!
  • Lieutenant
  • "Execute Order 66"
    • lambonspit reviews and customs
« Reply #941 on: January 29, 2010, 03:23:33 AM »
Qui Gon looks nice, but i agree the head does look a little smaller now. Hasbro's fault for making it so small in the first place. The added articulation is fantastic with all your figures!!

Gun, Trigger, Pull

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #942 on: January 29, 2010, 08:01:08 AM »
I keep forgetting this is the removeable helmet atat driver. Duh. I think the pauldron (regular white for me please) will be nice to change up this figure. I don't know what I was thinking. See what difference a day makes. Thanks for including it Devin, I am getting pysched to see my figures. I will be patient though.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #943 on: January 29, 2010, 10:43:52 PM »
no need to be patient tamer!  all finished!  :P

heres some shots of clint's snowtrooper next to yours tamer (clint's trooper is the dirtier one).

I added a cod piece to each one to try and bring them even closer to screen acuracy...  I don't know that I like it though.  The figures can't sit wiht their legs strait out in front of them anymore, however with the snowtrooper it doesn't realy matter because they probably won't ever be sitting (unless the new at-at has seats in it....)
OK tamer, here are your figs together.  The at-at driver and snowtrooper:

Tamer, the belt and holster is removable by seperating the figure at the torso joint and slipping it up and off, the pauldron is removable by taking off the head/helmet of course.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #944 on: January 29, 2010, 11:30:50 PM »
Very nice, Devin! I like the cod pieces alot. No, I don't think I will have any trouble with my snowtrooper sitting. He is an action kind of guy.