Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 161588 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: SA female x-wing pilot)
« Reply #975 on: February 05, 2010, 10:39:37 PM »
I have also heard that using a stiff brissled tooth brush and lightly running it over the figure once the paint is dry will take a little bit of the gloss off.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #976 on: February 05, 2010, 11:28:11 PM »
I have also heard that using a stiff brissled tooth brush and lightly running it over the figure once the paint is dry will take a little bit of the gloss off.

which is weird, because it makes dull plastic shiny, :)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #977 on: February 05, 2010, 11:35:40 PM »
is that the way it went?  maybe I was backwards... lol

Offline BugSkirt

• Lieutenant
    • BugSkirt's Workshop
« Reply #978 on: February 06, 2010, 05:29:48 AM »
That female pilot is pretty awesome.  I definitely have to try this recipe.  Spuda, that was a d@mn good idea to combine those parts. 

Well, there is another project to add to the list...   ;)
We had 5 POA in '78...

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #979 on: February 06, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »
I like the overall appearance, the only thing I don't like is she is too tall for that character now, but she does look good.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #980 on: February 06, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
That female pilot is pretty awesome.  I definitely have to try this recipe.  Spuda, that was a d@mn good idea to combine those parts. 
Well, there is another project to add to the list...   ;)
Thanks bugskirt, Imitation is the purest form of flatery :).  I would love to see some other folks try my recipes and techniques! (and actually show me what they are doing, NARCERON.... ;) )

I like the overall appearance, the only thing I don't like is she is too tall for that character now, but she does look good.
I know for that specific character she is too short... I'm currently looking for a different female head that I could use on her to make her an entirely new character.  I'm just having trouble finding a head that will fit under the helmet!

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #981 on: February 08, 2010, 02:56:33 PM »
An easy fix for glossy orange paint is while its still some what wet, apply some crush pastel on a brush too the paint.

It will take the gloss out and make it look more like cloth.
Now that's an old school tip there. I remember reading about that technique in a Military Modeler magazine in the 70s.
Nice tip, Mandalore!

Finally someone who knows about that  ;D

I learned this tech originally from my Dad, who was big time into military models.

I even have a mag that illustrates how to do it.

sounds great could we get those pics up in the Resources and References Mandalore the skepsis?

Sure you want them pmed too ya?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #982 on: February 09, 2010, 01:14:38 AM »
ok guys... I finally finished the female pilot to the point that I realy like it.
I've actually come up with a little backstory for this one.... since she is to go with the kit-bashed starfighter...

"The Scarlett Rebel"
Born as a force sensitive child shortly after the begining of the clone wars "scarlett" was quickly sought out by the jedi and began training... at a young age she was showing great promise and was given to a jedi master as a padawan to be trained in real life combat situations during the clone wars.  As she learned from her master she traveled the galaxy, engaging in battles far out in the outer rim.  It was during one such battle that her life changed forever, and she was defined as a person...
Her and her master had just landed on a backwater planet, securing the hangar in which they would use as their base of operations.  Unbeknownst to them, Order 66 was minutes away from being issued....   As she ran a diagnostics check on her master's starfighter she watched as he was gunned down by their very own trusted clones.  Thinking quickly, she threw up the sheild generator of her master's vessel and blasted her way into the cold unforgiving galaxy that was now unfolding around her...
Feeling a disturbance in the force, which was the result of order 66, she knew she couldn't return home to the jedi temple.  Thus she fled. 
She found refuge as a healer and spiritual counselor on a desolate outer rim world.  There she grew into a woman...  She modified her master's jedi-starfighter, adding built in hyperdrive engines, repainting it, and constructing it to look like a reworked junker, as she knew a pure unaltered jedi-starfighter would bting too much attention...

Eventually, after the establishment of the Empire, she had to again flee her life.  Word had gotten out that she was force sensitive, and owning a jedi-starfighter, albeit an altered deralict, this interested the wrong people...  She found refuge with the rebelion however, where she was a valuable asset in their war against the Empire's oppression.....

Ok... sorry for the rabling story.  I just figured this one deserved a backstory....   I went with the name "scarlett" because I feel likthis figure lookes too much like the gi-joe character to avoid... I plan on doing a few "gi-joe to star wars" crossovers soon, one being duke....

as you can see I updated the head sculpt.  I used the head from an ROC scarlett in reactive armor and removed her hair.  I then replaced that with the hair off of the marvel legends "firestar" figure.  The helmet doesn't fit very well over it though....  couldn't realy avoid that.  I figure the helmet is realy an accessory that looks better off the figure anyway....  from the side thehelmet looks fine, especially while in the cockpit:

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #983 on: February 09, 2010, 01:52:33 AM »
A very cool figure, buddy.
I like her a lot.
Carefully done, her flightsuit could benefit from shading and highlighting (although I usually don't use that technique on 3 3/4" figures very often) and I'd simply seal her body with a matt or semi-gloss transparent coating. That will take care of the glossy orange paint.
Scarlett's belt doesn't look military and adds an individual touch to the figure as we know that jet jockeys love to show their individuality.

As for the helmet, the headsculpts are too good to cover them with a helmet and she's too nice a figfure to hide her in the cockpit of a fighter.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #984 on: February 09, 2010, 05:04:02 AM »
I think she looks just fine with her helmet one. Nice work. On the front page.

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #985 on: February 09, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »
I think Im going to have to try my hand at making this.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #986 on: February 09, 2010, 11:06:28 AM »
D,  use a second scarlett head for the helmet, that way you can have the helmet fit a lot better, :)

I like the head/hair combo, nice work.

I like this figure much more than the V1.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #987 on: February 09, 2010, 11:40:03 AM »
Spud, this is just awesome. It is always a pleasure to see new super-super arti figures from you and the story you made for scarlett is the the cherry on top.

as always great job
10/10

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #988 on: February 09, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »
D,  use a second scarlett head for the helmet, that way you can have the helmet fit a lot better, :)

I just need to find me the version of her movie figure that has the hair pulled back....  I apparently lost the one that the body for this figure came with!  :-\
I'm probably going to pick one up today.  I might also go on and get the other x-wing pilot evo pack if they still have it clearanced...

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #989 on: February 09, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »

I just need to find me the version of her movie figure that has the hair pulled back....  I apparently lost the one that the body for this figure came with!  :-\
I'm probably going to pick one up today.  I might also go on and get the other x-wing pilot evo pack if they still have it clearanced...

You can probably trade the female pilot's head for something...people go crazy for exclusive body parts, not sure why.