Author Topic: Tamer's Collection (2012)  (Read 23913 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Tamer's Collection (2012)
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2012, 05:54:17 PM »
Yepper, I would definitely say cool if she would agree to a life size Maul in the living room.

I hear you on the titaniums being a bit easier to display loose. Once again, that dreaded carded collector that I am dooms me in space ways too.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2012, 02:28:13 AM »
Oh WOW Shawn that is some awesome work matey  :)

I'd love to have a display like that in my house at some point! Sadly my woodwork-fu Is weak and I'll have to go down that flatpack route (hangs head in shame)

Still it needs more ATAT drivers!!!    :P

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2012, 06:51:56 AM »
Oh WOW Shawn that is some awesome work matey  :)

I'd love to have a display like that in my house at some point! Sadly my woodwork-fu Is weak and I'll have to go down that flatpack route (hangs head in shame)

Still it needs more ATAT drivers!!!    :P

Thanks Ray, guy if you can build customs like you do I think you could build something like this in your sleep.

I do like the way you think about those AT-AT Drivers though. I just bought some weird bootleg two pack on ebay I will hopefully get up there soon, but ofcourse can't wait to get the ones you are working on up there. 

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »
Well it has been an interesting few days, but I did get a couple of hours to finish up my bookcase collection display area today. Wow did it feel good to get some of my stuff out of rubbermaid and out for the world to see. Anyhow, take a look:

I really, really like the glass doors (where my Gentle Giant and AF/MM Items are located) and am thinking of doing the whole thing with these knobless magnetic closures. The maximum weight allowance for the hinges I am using is 28 lbs. so I think I will be good. I have one more display cabinet(s) I plan on making next year and my cave will be done. As always I play the game of balancing my space with the monies for the items I like. I have to admit that my custom items I have convinced some of you fine folks to part with are the favorite parts of my collection. I also plan on doing a video of the entire room soon.

Everything sits very cool there! GREAT!! You need to open up and display the busts though, all the great details are lost if kept in boxes.
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2012, 11:24:59 AM »
LOL. Serg, I think you may have said something about that before. I think? ;D

Thanks for your comments.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »
that set up showcases everything perfectly !
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
that set up showcases everything perfectly !

Thanks Jay, I think so too.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2012, 02:53:28 AM »
LOL. Serg, I think you may have said something about that before. I think? ;D

Thanks for your comments.

You know carded collecting might be ok for Hasbro figures, but not so sure about higher end items: 1:6 figures, statue, busts, helmets and props.  ;) What if for example you get a 1:1 helmet from MR/eFX, where the package has no window and also no art box, will just display the brown shipping box on the shelf? ;D
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2012, 03:09:08 AM »
What if for example you get a 1:1 helmet from MR/eFX, where the package has no window and also no art box, will just display the brown shipping box on the shelf? ;D

I probably wouldn't if it was just a brown box. Probably.

I think the great thing about SW Collecting or heck collecting in general is that we all have our own preferences or how we like to collect and/or display our stuff. I love seeing how folks collect, both loose and dreaded carded or boxed collectors like myself, and I do think that a few opened items are good.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:28 AM »
De gustibus non est disputandum
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »
De gustibus non est disputandum

Agreed Serg. Agreed.

And of course your displays have heavily influenced my own display style too.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:48 AM »
I only hope you opened them at least to look at what is inside. ;) Just imagine the following scenario - partially just happened to me: I recently got my Sideshow Premium Format 1:4 Stormtrooper statue. It arrived with broken belt (other members got them even worse, with broken legs and damaged armor parts). If I decided to keep it boxed (it has a great art box indeed) and never open it up to verify I would have never seen the damage and get replacement in time.

In 5 years if I'd like to sell it I would advertise as "never opened, mint in box" etc. etc. But in fact it comes with a broken belt and in the end I would get in trouble with the buyer. Busts and statues if displayed well (inside glass cabinets, out of the sunlight, no cigarette smoke etc.) will never have a lower resale value in the future. Their boxes are made in such a way you can open and re-open as many times you want/ you just need to add some tape on some.

But in 5 years a sold out item will never have replacement parts not even at the original producer, if that is still on the market. There are some people waiting for replacement plaques for various props from Master Replicas because they bought MIB, never opened props and they were missing those plaques. Will they get them? NO. Master Replicas doesn't exist anymore. Some of the plaques cost a small fortune on ebay now. If they have opened the boxes back then MR had replaced everything

There is also the materials these high end busts, statues and figures are made of: resin, polystone, plastic (ABS/PVC), rubber and cloth (on some PF's and 1:6 figs). I read a lot about preserving statues and figures, how the paint reacts in time with the box and how figures like Hot Toys Batman, HT Appleseed, Sideshow Captain America statue etc. had badly damaged paint or even bodies because of being kept inside packaging. Check out some SSF threads, interesting and scary reads. :-\

Thus in fact personally I wouldn't buy a rare statue, a figure or even more, a prop or helmet, that hasn't been ever opened up by the seller, to be verified, especially if that item is long sold out (and thus out of replacement parts). I asked all the guys and even shops who sold me various items to see the pics of the items I bought.

Not sure if you saw my deactivated real Sterling SMG modified as Stormtrooper blaster (thus being the most accurate blaster possible beating even the Master Replicas version easily), I asked for pics of it because I wanted to see it, even if it is a piece of metal, a real decomissioned weapon like the one used in SW, and nothing could happen to a lump of metal (except some rust that can be easily fixed - though the pro assembling it added a special coat of protective lacquer inside too).

But when I got my Stormtrooper PF statue I asked Mike from Razor's Edge Collectibles to look at his statue stock because I knew many arrived badly damaged from Sideshow factory. He thanked me for letting him know (he had quite a few damaged indeed and got replacements from SS) and even so I got the small belt broken, because none of us thought that the belt, separately packed in a bubble wrap, could be damaged from factory. I did the same with most of my stuff in my collection. I NEVER buy something with just stock pictures, and without real pics of the item outside the box. It saved me a lot of trouble. ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:37:01 AM by jkno »
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2012, 03:06:15 AM »
All very good points Serg. I think we need to start a topic on this with the title Loose or Carded?

All of your points sure do point to have a totally loose collection and with higher end collectibles going higher and higher as far as price points it does make sense to ensure that if you spend hundreds you get undamaged items.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2012, 09:58:48 AM »
Man what a collection!!!  :o  Also.... whoever weathered that AT-ST next to the Falcon has some mad skills.  ;)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2012, 02:27:18 PM »
Man what a collection!!!  :o  Also.... whoever weathered that AT-ST next to the Falcon has some mad skills.  ;)

LOL. They do indeed Tom. They do indeed. Thanks for your comments.