Author Topic: Commander Kurgan's Customs  (Read 73284 times)

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
Re: Commander Kurgan's Customs
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2009, 01:58:43 PM »
A little paint and you could call him Montross from the SW Bounty Hunter game...
Just about the size of him, except for height ....which is hard to change too much.
I like him, although I agree it would be even better with a little variation in color.
Real nice work.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »
Cool back story as always, Volker! The figure looks pretty sweet also. I am in love with that grenade launcher.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2009, 07:58:19 PM »
man I think some fresh paint will help the most.

as for the squati-ness of it all I realy don't know what else to do.  Like I said I'm a big fan of throwing everything together on a gi-joe body.

I'm going to post a tutorial on how to do a super articulated mando with a gi-joe body base soon.  The easiest part is swapping the arms out as they fit into the gi-joe torso quite well.  the joe body I'll be using for mine is one of the red vipers out of the resolute 5pack

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2009, 10:05:09 PM »
Looking forward to your tutorial.
Except for the new ROC Joes, they are quite hard to find in this country. Let's see what we can come up with.
I'll give the guy a fresh paintjob, though.
That will preserve his Star Wars-typical look yet give him more crispyness in the details.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2009, 10:12:11 PM »
I know several of the new roc joes would work well for this too.  They have the same basic build to them too.  (I forget that your on the other side of the pond!)  do you do any shopping on e-bay?  You can get alot of good stuff on there at reasonable prices.  I usually look for big lots of loose joes that can be used as fodder! lol.  of course then you run into people that don't want to ship overseas. ::) 

off the top of my head I think the roc cobra diver fig would be a good base to use for this as the torso isn't overly detailed withny detailed shirt or anything.  the armor will go over it anyway so it won't matter much....  I havn't looked at the neo-vipers loose yet but I am told that their armor is removable.  They might be a good starting base as well... 

I'll work on that tutorial sometime this week and see if it's something you might want to do with this guy or others in the future.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »
If nothing else, it's a good opportunity to try out something new and different.
You know, that's what I love about this playce: nobody keeps secrets about his work and is willing to share. You don't find that too often on other forums.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:07 PM »
I figure if I share my know how, others will share theirs with me and it will become an all around learning experience.  Not to mention I also like to see other people's takes on my techniques and processes.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2009, 02:37:33 AM »
That's how it works.
You know, my Scout Troop has a motto: pamwe chete.
That's Shona and means "Together only".

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2009, 03:47:51 PM »
ck, did you read through my tutorial on the animated clone super articulation using clone commander parts?

it's here http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1005.0

anyways, since we are discussing making a figure with the roc parts and all this is basically what I'm thinking

Take your figure that you have finished and crack open his chest area and remove the arms.  Do the same thing with whatever joe you decide to use and replace the joe's arms with the rahm kota's.  Then if you wanted to you could do like i did in the tutorial and replace the joe's lower legs with kota's.  However, in this case I don't think it'd be best.  perhaps if you found a VOTC boba his lower legs and feet would look best... 

then to finish it out all you would have to do is use the hot glue treatment on kota's head socket to fit it over the joe's neck ball and add all the removable armor pieces and the belt.  you should be able to remove the inside rubbery parts of the belt to fit it over the joe's waist... that is if you didn't have to do that already for puting it over kota's. 

like I said, I'll post some detailed pics of the process with the figure I'm working on and let you see how I'm doing it.  I just got a jango with the removable chest armor that I'm probably going to use just like yours. 

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2009, 10:56:56 PM »
I'll be honest, I really like the paint job. It doesn't look as overly-designed as some of them do (after all, it's armor, not a low-rider Cadillac), it looks like he'd blend into the crowd in a star wars scene a little better than having one super-consistent paint scheme. Hahaha, I thought the thing on his shoulder was supposed to be wookiee scalps that were sticking out, and I was like "hmm, that looks kinda dumb sticking out like that" until I noticed it's actually the sling for his big-ass gun! Much better now. As for his squatty-ness, I think all you'd really need to do is find a way to extend his neck upward... then he'd look way more well proportioned. Either some sculpty or a long-necked figure and an exacto-knife would work well. Great figure!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2009, 11:03:15 PM »
Hi all, thanks for your comments.
I'll give his clothing a bit of a paintjob to add more depth to the folds and get some more detail out of his armor.
My wife says he looks like an older version of me plus the goatee beard, a short, stout fellow.

Spud got me into trying to mix Star Wars with some GI Joe parts, so let's see what I'm able to come up with.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »
this is the mando i've been working on ck

there are more pics in my thread...  but you can see that i've basically only replaced the arms from the elbow down on this one using a boba's gauntlets and hands.  The rest is 100% joe.  of course I then added the removable jango armor and jetpack.  To get the pockets on the thighs I sliced them off of a jodo-kast fig's thighs and just glued them onto the joe.  When it is all painted you won't be able to tell they were seperate parts (I hope!)...

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2009, 01:43:18 PM »
Spud, what have you done to me!
I only started looking into GI Joe figures and got half a million ideas for custom SW figures...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2009, 02:43:05 PM »
lol I consider my mission a success!  ;D

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2009, 11:05:06 AM »
While Joes are rolling in, I continued on finishing the Han Solo repaint which my son started.

Sean's paintjob on the left, an original Han on the right:

The finished repaint side by side with the original:

We gave Han a jacket of Batha hide, a different shirt and boots and a bit of dirt and wear. In fact, he's a cross between Han Solo and Indiana Jones.