Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 169101 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #915 on: May 28, 2024, 04:02:57 PM »
Those steps turned out really well. The paint job is fantastic. It will be cool.to see where you go with this.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #916 on: May 29, 2024, 12:19:16 AM »
Those steps turned out really well. The paint job is fantastic. It will be cool.to see where you go with this.

I agree! This project makes me want to get out my styrofoam and build a Hangar on Yavin 4...
JDeck's work is very inspiring  :o

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
« Reply #917 on: June 05, 2024, 08:28:57 AM »
this looks great

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #918 on: June 08, 2024, 08:58:44 PM »
   Thank you everyone for your comments, I had individual responses but they didn't upload and I'm lazy. Sorry, but thank you all.

I got back from my vacation and continued working on my Jungle ruin. Instead of laying the brickwork then paint, I wanted some of the bricks to be stacked and semi buried so I layed the groundwork before giving it a base coat. I made the soil from spackle, water, glue, and paint. Then I added real roots from a rosemary plant I killed, but kept because they looked like little trees. The rocks are crushed oyster shells I use for my aquarium, they are more random and jagged than the model train variety you get store bought.  I let it dry for 2 or 3 days and sprayed a base using acrylic grey.
  Next I'll dry brush, wash and so forth. Then probably add a top soil and plants.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 09:02:41 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #919 on: June 09, 2024, 01:20:13 AM »
I know, it happened to me several times that comments got lost. Also when I change the font size it often switches to an emoji. Very frustrating, so I trained myself to copy my text before.

The brickwork you did there looks phenomenal already! The roots going through some of them add so much realism. I'm stocked to see how this looks painted and really dig that you add on to your diorama whenever there's time. That's smart! I mean when I think of my own projects I think big, make plans and it takes forever to even start...step-by-step is literally the way to go. 

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #920 on: June 09, 2024, 02:15:33 AM »
Absolutely killing JD and can't wait to see more.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #921 on: June 09, 2024, 05:50:51 AM »
Wow this is continuing to look great. Off to share the latest.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #922 on: June 09, 2024, 12:22:19 PM »
That looks pretty darn awesome!. Excited to see the paint work, but the design of the eroded stairs is fantastic. Hope you had a good vacation  :)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #923 on: July 16, 2024, 08:35:36 PM »
Just making some more trees. Wire armature, wrapped in foil, then wrapped in masking tape. Then I mixed wood glue, quick mache, spackle and water for the bark texture. Then i gave it a wash of brown, white and black. Finally I attached the artificial plant parts to the wire secondary branches that were left uncoated.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 08:37:38 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth Revenge

• Living Dead Sith
  • Colonel
    • Darth Revenge on FB
« Reply #924 on: July 16, 2024, 09:42:59 PM »
Nice job. They look more natural than some trees in th neighbour's garden.
Living Dead Never Die - There is no death, only the Dark Side

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #925 on: July 16, 2024, 11:02:35 PM »
That bark mix worked out fantastic! You've really become a master at foliage, for sure! You are also more committed to the artistic process than I am ;D

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #926 on: July 17, 2024, 01:23:31 PM »
Love the look of your trees! The trunks look superb and their crowns look bizarre enough to make them look from a galaxy far, far away! That's something the people working on the latest Star Wars project couldn't achieve.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #927 on: July 17, 2024, 02:46:35 PM »
Nice job. They look more natural than some trees in th neighbour's garden.

Thank you!
That bark mix worked out fantastic! You've really become a master at foliage, for sure! You are also more committed to the artistic process than I am ;D

Thank you! I've been making trees a while now, and found a formula that works for me. I go foliage hunting like some people go toy hunting.

Love the look of your trees! The trunks look superb and their crowns look bizarre enough to make them look from a galaxy far, far away! That's something the people working on the latest Star Wars project couldn't achieve.
Thank you! The trees aren't exactly complete, i didn't have enough foliage, but these are more or less for framing larger subjects like AT-ST and T-rex. I would have to make something taller or more complete for something like AT-AT.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #928 on: July 19, 2024, 06:15:12 PM »
I based my jungle trees, using my soil and jungle floor litter. I have a lot of tree building still to do If I want to make a lush jungle.
Also trying to make a Parasaur saddle using a H.A.C.K.S elven saddle. It fits well, I just need to make a custom cinch for the underside. Mabe make some saddle bags etc.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 06:16:56 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #929 on: July 20, 2024, 12:39:34 AM »
Nice job on the bases. Are you planning to leave them "modular" so you can arrange them in different configurations? That makes the most sense to me. I like the Parasaurolophus mount for the stormie.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 12:13:41 AM by Starchaser »