Author Topic: NY Toy Fair 2014 Hasbro Q and A Thread  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
NY Toy Fair 2014 Hasbro Q and A Thread
« on: January 27, 2014, 06:18:07 PM »
Well our roving reporter Dan "The Spectre" Kosa is headed back to New York and has agreed to ask some questions posed by the Yarders! So get em on in here and thanks Dan!

LIST SO FAR:

1. Is the 14POA/SA coming to an end with the current crop of 5 POA figures in the market and if so do Hasbro honestly feel that a majority of adult/seasoned collectors will stick with the brand after being used to 14POA/SA for so long?

2. Will the new Episode 7 action features feature articulation more along the lines of the Black Series or Saga Legends or the new Rebels series?

3. We are excited to see the new six inch Speederbike. What are the chances we will see other vehicles in the six inch scale?

4. Will the new Black Series 6 inch line be wide open for the new Episode 7 movie, Rebels, The Clone Wars or EU Characters or will it focus solely on Episodes I through VI?

5. The B.A.D. option (build a droid) just seems like a no brainer when it comes to producing great droids. Is there any chance we can continue to get multiple SW Droids a year (protocol droids, astro-mechs, gonks, etc.) in these configurations that will allow each new droid purchase to connect with our existing pieces from other droids allowing for unique combinations? Do you think this could ever expand outside of the Droids arena again into getting other prequel or OT characters in the regular action figure lines as a great pack in per wave or for exclusive runs like you did for the Amazon B.A.D. set?

6. Ok, Dear hasbro, will we ever see a re release of the six inch fett with Han in carbonite? And is there any fire to the smoke we have been hearing about perhaps this being released with a Six Inch Scale Jabba the Hutt?

7. As much as we are sure Hasbro gets annoyed by all the Star Wars customizers that are popping up, there is no denying that the movement is rapidly growing.  Furthermore, Star Wars customizers purchase more action figures than kids and collectors COMBINED to create their works of art.  A typical custom action figure will usually take 3-6 action figures to create just one figure,  and customizers have been known to buy up to 10 figures of a well articulated action figure just for something to sculpt onto (i.e. - CW MAce Windu or Vintage Aaayla Secura). Is Hasbro concerned about the loss of their best customers if they switch to 5 POA?  Also has Hasbro considered making action figure joints pop apart like Ponda Boba so even kids can get in on the customizing action?  I can see a huge increase in sales if you did.

8. Why not use the same kind of model base/articulation for Star Wars figures as they do for G.I Joe figures? I mean if a lot of people use a G.I. Joe figure as a platform for giving their custom figures the articulation they want, and Hasbro seems to have no (cost) issues with the articulation points on Joe figures, why not use the same kind of figure base for Star Wars figures as well? It seems if they did something like that, everyone would be happy. Would it be safe to assume that the Black Series Training Luke we are seeing could be a trend for SW action figures to feature the well loved Joe style joints and movement?

9. Would Hasbro consider trying to make the joint sizes in its figures a standard size to allow for easier customizing? There's nothing more frustrating than finding a perfect piece for a custom, only to find that the peg is too large/small for the hole on the other figure you're using. Especially for heads - why can't the head pegs be all the same size so we can swap heads easily? This would make customizing easier AND give buyers an incentive to get more doubles as they can create more characters (imagine how many people would buy extra the Rebel Trooper body and then army build by adding different heads).

10. While we are quickly moving towards a new SW movie every year, is there any thought to pushing out some of the most requested background figures from the OT and PT in the Black Series line?  There are quite a few figures that have been in the parking lot for some time and it feels as if there isn't a lot of time left to get to characters like this...

Also, has there been any thought to seeing a return of the beast/deluxe line?  Geonosian Picador, Han's new sculpt Tauntaun (already tooled), TPM Dewback (already sculpted if not tooled), Rickshaw Droid with Rickshaw, Lava Flea, and a new Wampa would be an awesome line to close out many of the needed beasts from the existing six movies before Episode Seven hits...

11. Hasbro has made some very nice EU Figures in the recent years, and are always in high demand on the second hand market. Is there a chance of seeing these hard to find figures repacked, perhaps in multi packs much like TFU exclusives sets? Such as a TOR, Kotor, CW set with repacks and perhaps a new figure or two in each pack so it would appeal to new collectors as well as the 'veteran' collectors as well as the kids?

12. You guys are doing a great job with the new 6 inch line and I like the character selections so far. Are you aware of the problems with the legs on R2-D2? The actual legs are made from very soft plastic and the snap on leg panels are very hard/stiff plastic. Before you ever take him out of the package his legs are bent, this is on every R2 I have seen at retail. When you open the package and snap on the long blue leg panel parts it deforms the legs even more as they bend inward to the body. It looks terrible on display with the rest of the figures in the line. If this is a collector focused line why re we still dealing with soft plastic problems? No adult is going to stab themselves in the eye with R-2's leg. If R2 or future droids are released do you plan to address this problem? Better yet can we get an all new sculpt about 1/2 inch taller and 1/4 inch bigger around?

13. Is there any chance we'll see a revival of the Action Fleet line from the late 90s? This was an excellent way to get well-made replicas of Star Wars vehicles for a low cost at a size that did not take up too much space. Unfortunately, we only got a handful of Episode II vehicles and none from Episode III, but with the Sequels coming out and a whole bunch of new ships it seems like it'd be a great time for such a line.

14. Is Hasbro considering doing any of the EU figures in the 6 inch Black Series line? Would Hasbro ever do a Republic Commando in the 6 inch Black Series line, with the possibility of having the custom attachments for the weapon (i.e. sniper attachment, rocket launcher)?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:09:29 PM by Tamer »

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
Re: NY Toy Fair 2014 Hasbro Q and A Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »
Here's my 2 cents worth:

Q) Is the 14POA/SA coming to an end with the current crop of 5 POA figures in the market and if so do Hasbro honestly feel that a majority of adult/seasoned collectors will stick with the brand after being used to 14POA/SA for so long?

ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:01:11 PM »
Wardog that will be a good one to answer in followup if they answer 5 poa for the new E7 question!

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »
I'm trying to stay positive about 14POA/SA sticking around BUT it's hard not to be sceptical and full of doubt.  I mean Hasbro are releasing 5POA merchandise and Rebels is slated to be 5POA so IMO there's no reason for the sequels to be any different considering that "rumour" has it that Hasbro have stated that the Black Series has "failed"...if it has then it comes down to the choice of figures released in the series.  I'm trying to be hopeful that 14POA/SA will stick around but doubt has seriously clouded my mind and judgement.
ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:05:26 AM »
I can see your point WD, I can seriously see them letting the six inch line be their articulated line and turning all three and three quarter into very limited range of motion. I got into a great talk with the heads of a few other SW Sites about this a week or so ago and some really defended the 5 POA figures and while I respected their opinions could never really agree with it. Their main point is that we got spoiled and that mainly before the last few years most of the figures produced anyway were 5 POA or less and we were just fine with those (take the first Clone Wars anime figs for example) and that kids will still get em because they don't know anything better is out there. Personally I don't know why you wouldn't make your action figure as full of range of movement and motion as current technology allows. I just can't stand de-evolution which is what this seems. When I see Hasbro put more time and effort into an inferior Saga Legends Stormtrooper that has perphas the best helmet sculpt we ever have seen on that character and then see how shotty their paint apps and sculpting was on the new Black Series Wave 2 Stormtrooper I just get irritated. Its like the new Mission Series 3PO, it is probably the beast facial and body sculpt and most correct version of this character they have produced, but he doesn't move! It is awful. I am seriously considering trying to get out my dremel and do an arms, legs, and lower torso changeover with the Deathstar Droid that came with the cheap Amazon three packs last month. That gives me a new question.

The B.A.D. option (build a droid) just seems like a no brainer when it comes to producing great droids. Is there any chance we can continue to get multiple SW Droids a year (protocol droids, astro-mechs, gonks, etc.) in these configurations that will allow each new droid purchase to connect with our existing pieces from other droids allowing for unique combinations? Do you think this could ever expand outside of the Droids arena again into getting other prequel or OT characters in the regular action figure lines as a great pack in per wave or for exclusive runs like you did for the Amazon B.A.D. set?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:01:33 AM by Tamer »

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:21:18 AM »
I agree Tamer.  The 5POA is a cheap way to get product into the market.  It's quantity over quality now.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:07:05 AM »
I agree Tamer.  The 5POA is a cheap way to get product into the market.  It's quantity over quality now.

I don't want this to turn into a Hasbro rant thread as this is the place to ask Hasbro questions, but when I see great characters like the Yarders are producing for the kit-bash contest and the main theme seems to be adding articulation I can see no other reason other than them being cheap. Frankly, I  think collectors would be glad to see a better three and three quarter line with full articulation even if it means a higher price point. I think if they went to this model and offered better figures with a smaller wave size and less numbers of waves per year folks would really get behind them again. These action figures could then serve as great blanks or bucs that folks could use to make other great characters.

Ok, rant over. Back to the regularly scheduled program, does anyone have any other questions for Hasbro we can ask when Dan sees them in a few weeks?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
I still think they should revisit some of the tried and true eu figures with existing tooling from the past like Shan, Revan, Malak, and the two Solo siblings to name a few.

I'm sure that this years selection of joes will be nice and arty, especially since the joe line is seeing its 50th birthday this year.

Ok, Dear hasbro, will we ever see a re release of the six inch fett with Han in carbonite?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:40:23 AM by Clonehead »

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:58:14 AM »
Question:

As much as we are sure Hasbro gets annoyed by all the Star Wars customizers that are popping up, there is no denying that the movement is rapidly growing.  Furthermore, Star Wars customizers purchase more action figures than kids and collectors COMBINED to create their works of art.  A typical custom action figure will usually take 3-6 action figures to create just one figure,  and customizers have been known to buy up to 10 figures of a well articulated action figure just for something to sculpt onto (i.e. - CW MAce Windu or Vintage Aaayla Secura). Is Hasbro concerned about the loss of their best customers if they switch to 5 POA?  Also has Hasbro considered making action figure joints pop apart like Ponda Boba so even kids can get in on the customizing action?  I can see a huge increase in sales if you did.

Offline CheesyKNAC

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 07:51:29 AM »
I don't know if my question will make much sense, but why not use the same kind of model base/articulation for Star Wars figures as they do for G.I Joe figures? I mean if a lot of people use a G.I. Joe figure as a platform for giving their custom figures the articulation they want, and Hasbro seems to have no (cost) issues with the articulation points on Joe figures, why not use the same kind of figure base for Star Wars figures as well? It seems if they did something like that, everyone would be happy  DH

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 09:35:41 AM »
Would Hasbro consider trying to make the joint sizes in its figures a standard size to allow for easier customizing? There's nothing more frustrating than finding a perfect piece for a custom, only to find that the peg is too large/small for the hole on the other figure you're using. Especially for heads - why can't the head pegs be all the same size so we can swap heads easily? This would make customizing easier AND give buyers an incentive to get more doubles as they can create more characters (imagine how many people would buy extra the Rebel Trooper body and then army build by adding different heads).

Offline My kind of scum

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 11:41:16 AM »
While we are quickly moving towards a new SW movie every year, is there any thought to pushing out some of the most requested background figures from the OT and PT in the Black Series line?  There are quite a few figures that have been in the parking lot for some time and it feels as if there isn't a lot of time left to get to characters like this...

Also, has there been any thought to seeing a return of the beast/deluxe line?  Geonosian Picador, Han's new sculpt Tauntaun (already tooled), TPM Dewback (already sculpted if not tooled), Rickshaw Droid with Rickshaw, Lava Flea, and a new Wampa would be an awesome line to close out many of the needed beasts from the existing six movies before Episode Seven hits...

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 12:04:12 PM »
While we are quickly moving towards a new SW movie every year, is there any thought to pushing out some of the most requested background figures from the OT and PT in the Black Series line?  There are quite a few figures that have been in the parking lot for some time and it feels as if there isn't a lot of time left to get to characters like this...

Also, has there been any thought to seeing a return of the beast/deluxe line?  Geonosian Picador, Han's new sculpt Tauntaun (already tooled), TPM Dewback (already sculpted if not tooled), Rickshaw Droid with Rickshaw, Lava Flea, and a new Wampa would be an awesome line to close out many of the needed beasts from the existing six movies before Episode Seven hits...

I love the way you think my friend.

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 02:15:56 PM »
Q.) Did the dumba$$ that thought of going back to 5 poa get fired like he should of along with the guy who said playsets aren't sellable?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »
Q.) Did the dumba$$ that thought of going back to 5 poa get fired like he should of along with the guy who said playsets aren't sellable?

LOL, or that kids don't like articulation!